Any KKJZ listeneres here?

Jazzdude

With KKJZ, you get what you get -- a nice mainstream jazz station where the "comfort zone" if very narrow. Forget anything outside, free-jazz, A/G, or any other weirdness. The "Mostly Bop", "Soul Jazz", and "Jazz on the Latin Side" or nice listens, but, bottom line: You don't get people to pony up major money by having Brotzmann & Cecil Taylor on your play list.

Hi Jazzdude,

Yep, exactly what Matthew said. I sometimes volunteer at KKJZ, usually during their funding drives, and one of the things the station does each funding drive is to have a little "popularity contest"... you know, we'll ask the person making the donation to nominate somebody for "The Best Jazz Performer of All Time", or "The Best Jazz Song of All Time", stuff like that.

I can tell you that the answers given are always the same mainstream things, year after year. It's always Miles, Dave Brubeck, "So What", "Take 5", etc. I have yet to hear any caller say "Ornette Coleman", or "Ascension". I think I'd have a heart attack if ANY caller I took nominated a Free Jazz (or even Soul Jazz, or Fusion for that matter) musician or tune.

Having said that, I love KKJZ!!! The range IS narrow, and I wish they'd have at least a few hours per week devoted to other types of jazz (especially the Avant Garde), but it's always nice to know that I can turn on the radio at any time of the day or night and hear some good jazz!

I do miss Chuck Niles though... he was a good dude!

Cheers,

Shane

You CAN hear free jazz on the radio. Every Sunday nite Monday morning, 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. on KPFK 90.7 F.M., Los Angeles. On the web. The show is called "Rise." The host plays lots of Ornette Coleman, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Alice Coltrane, Archie Shepp, Nate Morgan, McCoy Tyner, John Coltrane, Horace Tapscott and more. Very highly recommended. No, I am NOT the host and have no affiliation to the station (a Pacifica station). The theme of the show is jazz music of a spiritual and somewhat political nature. It accomplishes its goal. Great show!

Edited by Jazzdude

You CAN hear free jazz on the radio. Every Sunday nite Monday morning, 11a.m. to 2 a.m. on KPFK 90.7 F.M., Los Angeles. On the web. The show is called "Rise." The host plays lots of Ornette Coleman, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Alice Coltrane, Archie Shepp, Nate Morgan, McCoy Tyner, John Coltrane, Horace Tapscott and more. Very highly recommended. No, I am NOT the host and have no affiliation to the station (a Pacifica station). The theme of the show is jazz music of a spiritual and somewhat political nature. It accomplishes its goal. Great show!

Jazzdude,

I'm with ya!!! That is a great show, and for a leftist like me, KPFK is usually on my dial! I just wish KKJZ would realize that there is more to jazz than just the "big" names.

The addition of the "Carribean" influenced show on KKJZ on Friday night was an interesting move, though... It reminds me of a radio show I used to do when I lived in New York, where I tried to combine ska, rocksteady, early reggae, and jazz.

R.I.P. "The Kingston Connection"... Damn, I wish I had time to get back into radio here in L.A.

Cheers,

Shane

P.S. -- Although, you know that KPFK show time conflicts with "Rodney On The ROQ", so I have to usually flip a coin to decide which station to listen to that night! HAH!

You CAN hear free jazz on the radio. Every Sunday nite Monday morning, 11a.m. to 2 a.m. on KPFK 90.7 F.M., Los Angeles. On the web. The show is called "Rise." The host plays lots of Ornette Coleman, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Alice Coltrane, Archie Shepp, Nate Morgan, McCoy Tyner, John Coltrane, Horace Tapscott and more. Very highly recommended. No, I am NOT the host and have no affiliation to the station (a Pacifica station). The theme of the show is jazz music of a spiritual and somewhat political nature. It accomplishes its goal. Great show!

I assume you meant 11PM - 2AM (Sunday-Monday)? That would seem like a likely spot for it.

Thanks for the KPFK info. Good for them!

KKJZ doesn't has a time slot for it?

Edited by Tjazz

There are jazz radio stations that play free jazz? Ornette Coleman gets airplay? :o

I thought of this thread and this question a few moments ago when I was goofing around running artist names through the KCSM playlist search feature. Here's a link to the Coleman tracks they've played since March...

Coleman

Or is this just going to take you to the playlist page? I'm not sure... :wacko:

Jazzdude,

I'm with ya!!! That is a great show, and for a leftist like me, KPFK is usually on my dial! I just wish KKJZ would realize that there is more to jazz than just the "big" names.

The addition of the "Carribean" influenced show on KKJZ on Friday night was an interesting move, though... It reminds me of a radio show I used to do when I lived in New York, where I tried to combine ska, rocksteady, early reggae, and jazz.

R.I.P. "The Kingston Connection"... Damn, I wish I had time to get back into radio here in L.A.

Cheers,

Shane

P.S. -- Although, you know that KPFK show time conflicts with "Rodney On The ROQ", so I have to usually flip a coin to decide which station to listen to that night! HAH!

What, is "havana to Kingston Connection" goe? I haven't checked for a few weeks. That was my favorite show on the station. Not really jazz, but I really liked the mix.

There are jazz radio stations that play free jazz?  Ornette Coleman gets airplay? :o

I thought of this thread and this question a few moments ago when I was goofing around running artist names through the KCSM playlist search feature. Here's a link to the Coleman tracks they've played since March...

Coleman

Or is this just going to take you to the playlist page? I'm not sure... :wacko:

Hey, that's a fair amount of Coleman! Not for the first time, I regret that KCSM is not powerful enought to be heard in my house.

Cheers,

Shane

Hi Adam,

Nah, I think the show is still on KKJZ, and it is a good one! The R.I.P. I was referring to in the post you quoted was my own radio show (called "The Kingston Connection") I used to have in New York. I tried to mix jazz with ska, reggae, rocksteady, and mento on my show. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't....

Cheers,

Shane

I very rarely listen to the radio, but when I do KKJZ 88.1 Long Beach is where I tune first.

I was actually listening to them until very late in the evening this last Saturday, and was suprised by some of the selections. Early in the evening someone was spinning EXCELLENT soul like OV Wright and Charles Wright--one great track after another. Then later in the evening someone played decent soul jazz tracks but some questionable remix tracks (like some butchered Cal Tjader). Usually when I tune in KKJZ has straight up jazz playing, I'd never listened on a Saturday night. I imagine those remix tracks would really piss some off if they didn't do it for me. Overall, I liked what they played.