Rene Urtreger

B. Goren.

Caught Rene Urtreger live today when he played a date with his trio (Pierre Boussaguet on bass and Eric Dervieu on drums) at a place called Espace Clacquesin in Malakoff on the southern edge of Paris.

Bad luck and major commitments had made me miss his recent appearances.

Urtreger was in great shape and spirit and was obviously delighted at playing for a very appreciative full house.

He looks half his age (or almost) and his repertoire seems to be as large as Hank Jones'.

The trio started strong with 'Old Devil Moon' and went through Monk, J.J. Johnson, Urtreger tunes mingled with ballads.

I was amazed by the music from this trio and its vitality.

The place was also very interesting.

Clacquesin was a quite popular vermouth decades ago and still is being produced.

The Espace Clacquesin turned out to be a distillery. A music stage has been arranged inside the building and provides good view of the proceedings and excellent acoustics.

Urtreger will be playing next month at the Lionel Hampton Club inside the Paris Hotel Meridien Etoile with veteran vibraphone player Michel Hausser who I have not seen or heard in ages. I won't miss this.

Urtreger will be playing next month at the Lionel Hampton Club inside the Paris Hotel Meridien Etoile with veteran vibraphone player Michel Hausser who I have not seen or heard in ages. I won't miss this.

Any idea Brownie when that would be ? As I'm in PAris in November for few days again, so protenially there is some chance to to catch this show.

Cheers, Tjobbe

Any idea Brownie when that would be ? As I'm in PAris in November for few days again, so protenially there is some chance to to catch this show.

Cheers, Tjobbe

RENE URTREGER QUINTET INVITE MICHEL HAUSSER

Du Mardi 22 au samedi 26 Novembre

René Urtreger (piano) Michel Hausser (vibraphone) Hervé Meschinet (saxophone, flûte) François Biensan (trompette) Eric Dervieu (batterie) Yves Torchinski (contrebasse)

René Urtreger est un des piliers du Jazz hexagonal. Il a fait les beaux jours de St Germain-des-Prés et a été également le pianiste de Claude François. René a joué avec les plus grands de Miles Davis à Dizzy Gillespie sans oublier Lester Young ou Chet Baker. Les Victoires de la Musique viennent de le distinguer en lui remettant une Victoire d’Honneur du Jazz pour l’ensemble de sa carrière : Félicitations René. Son complice Michel Hausser, notre Milt Jackson national, directeur artistique du Festival de Munster, sera de la fête. Ces deux compères prendront plaisir à jouer ensemble et rendre hommage à Charlie Parker dont nous honorons la mémoire en 2005.

source

Rhoda Scott was recorded at the Hampton jazz club... any hope for Urtreger?

No idea. Talked briefly to Urtreger between sets but did not ask him about future recordings.

He is one of the pianists in this just released album and appears on a couple of tracks

Anne Ducros but I am no fan of this singer. She sings in english and always seems to be overdoing it.

• 4 years later...

Urtreger's latest album '75' is a limited edition CD and is excellent! It was recorded last July at the Duc des Lombards club when Urtreger appeared there for his 75th birthday.

Cover-R.-Urtreger-Quintet.jpg

Great playing by all with a special mention for trumpet player Nicholas Folmer! As for Urtreger, he sounds younger and better than ever!

Only 1,000 copies of the CD were manufactured They were for sale at selected FNAC stores only (and seem to have been sold out there) and via email through Carlyne Records manager at

jdemirbeck@numericable.fr <jdemirbeck@numericable.fr>

Highly Recommended!