Anybody buying Brian Wilson's "Smile" cd?

jazzkrow

Good Vibrations - I'll have to dig into the reasoning behind the lyric change.

Besides those being the original lyrics, I suspect it's a move to keep Mike Love totally out of this project in any way. shape, or form, seeing as how he was reputedly the most antagonistic towards it back in the day.

Just a hunch.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love does get the writing credit for GV on the Smile release. But I assume that's more a legal department thing than an artistic thing.

Hearing the original lyrics is like hearing "Hang On To Your Ego" instead of "I Know There's An Answer" - a little odd. I prefer the final lyrics, not only because they're more familiar, but because they have better rhymes. But I'll live.

Mike

Got a copy from the library. Listened to it a few times.

I was wrong.

No, I was mind-numbingly, completely bass-ackwards, head-in-the-hole, unbe-fucking-lievably WRONG!!!!!

So many thoughts run through my mind when I listen to this, none of which amount to a grain of salt after the way I shot off my mouth at the beginning of this thread.

But it did answer my question about the differing bands: I understand that Brian had empathetic and sympathetic musicians during the recording of this way back when. But those musicians weren’t his bandmates; those guys--the bandmates, the other Boys, that is—were, I suppose, part of the reason why this never came together.

THIS band, however, is the complete package: great musicians, dedicated to the cause of their leader.

Maybe more later, I dunno. As I said before, it doesn’t matter what I think.

Crow eaten here. Smackdowns invited, if not encouraged. B-)

Since the server went down, I’ve been listening to this disc a bunch.

All I can do is reiterate just how colossally wrong I was about this album. I still stand by my original assessment of the tracks in their original Beach Boys state. Where those tracks seem to reek of jarring paranoia, this album more than lives up to its title.

At its essence, Brian Wilson finally sounds like he’s enjoying himself, and enjoying BEING himself.

You know..... smiling!

• 4 months later...

Utterly and completely impressed!! Waited a bit to pick up the gorgeous 2LP set. Very glad I finally got it. I'd love to see/hear a sequel.

Side note: Some of the best sound I've heard in years!!

Man, I *SO* wish those instrumentals on side four of the LP had been placed on the CD as well!