I need a [used] pick-up truck ASAP.

Dmitry

To begin with - I have not the foggiest what to look for in pick-up trucks, never owned one, never needed one, but I do now.

Towing capacity will matter very little, I just need it to haul stuff.

Also, it has to have sitting for 4 or 5, so I guess I'll need the extended cab[?] or a full cab[?]. Something with a history of reliability and priced up to 12k used.

Help the city fella out. :blink:

D, the best ride you will find is a Chevy (Silverado) or GMC.

Look for 1996 or newer. The best find would be with the newer body style 1999+.

You should be able to find an extended cab for in your area with decent miles for $12K or under easy.

Stay away from four wheel drive unless you really need it, and go for the 1500 model (1/2 ton). That will do you just right.

Something like this...

950888193.167597992.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

The second choice should be Ford. It's only second because the ride of the GM is much better.

Again, finding a late model F-150 will be easy.

Go HERE put in your zip code, price range, and model info. It will pull up a crap load.

D, a crew cab has four doors.

However, most of the extended cabs have smaller doors in the rear as well. The cab is slightly smaller. Not much of an issue is your talking about a baby seat or smaller people. A full size adult may get a bit cranky after a few hours though.

In your case it should work fine. Crew cabs are a little pricey.

My previous recommendations were all based on full size, so I left out the imports.

Nissan didn't start making a real full size truck until this year. No good deals will be found as a result of that.The smaller trucks are fine, the interiors are a bit tight, so keep that in mind. Gas mileage will be better.

Toyota makes both a small truck and a full size (Tundra). Decent trucks I'm sure.

If you think a smaller/mid-size truck will work (better gas mileage), then increase your search to include these...

Ford Ranger (I run a bunch of these for my irrigation techs)

Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tundra

Nissan Frontier

Chevy S-10

GMC Sonoma

Savings over a full size (at least in my area) is huge, you will however sacrifice some comfort and power.

I would at least try and find a 6 cyl, you'll thank me if your going to haul anyone besides your baby, and anything besides a lunch box.

Go for a test drive!

Catesta, you REALLY have gone Westerner, jeez... Where do you think he's gonna park the thing, in his DRIVEWAY? I think you should bag the pickup bro' & go for BOX truck but if you insist on a pickup for better gas mileage, forget all that flag waving American crap & check out Toyota, very reliable & until recently, very serviceable, get half a beater & you won't have to worry about the dipshits & pricks that are sure to hit it when you park on the street.

I spotted this box truck in Crown Heights the other day tho', the # is right there. Make an offer--

Import Clem

Dude, a box truck? He's not going into the trucking business.

Knowledge of trucks goes with the territory. Being in the landscape business, I've learned a thing or two.

Not my preferred mode of transportation, but a necessary tool.

How many miles you got on that Toyota of yours?

Subaru?

Nothing wrong with them, but the good doctor said he needs to haul stuff. The Subaru ain't gonna help him with that.

Those little Fords are okay. I run some of them (minus the dubs ;) ) for my irrigation guys to use.

If he wanted to drop the coin, Cadillac makes a half truck half SUV, but so does Chevy and it's the same damn thing for about $10-15K less. I know Dmitry ain't having any part of that.

Ford = take your pick:

Fix Or Repair Daily

or

Found On Road Dead

If a big American half ton is what you want, find a Chevy... it may rust and handle mushy (which I like, BTW) but it'll run a lot better than a Ford.

If you can find one in your price range, get a Toyota Tundra. Best reliability out there.

I don't think I'd recommend any of the baby trucks, especially the Ford Ranger. I've known way too many people who've had trouble with them. A guy I work with has also had major engine troubles with a Chevy S10 with the 4.3 L V6. It was his 2nd one... the first was great so it might have just been a lemon.

Got to Edmunds.com and do some research. Watch out at the forums... there are some shills who hang out on them. Makes it tough to get honest recs.

Later,

Kevin

All joking aside, I was lent a '78 Mercury Marquis 460 sedan in 1990-91, and drove it for about 150000 miles. Apart from a few routine parts replacements (the odd muffler, brake pads etc.), it went fine.

I could not understand why it had high compression and needed super (91) gas. With an engine of that size, who needs to worry about not having enough power if the compression ratio is 8:1, rather than the 10:1 which I think it was.

Going up the Grapevine in California, I did not need to worry about turning off the air to avoid boilover!

Well, lads, I decided to go with a V6 compact truck with either a crew or an extended cab[probably a crew cab if the price is right], like a Chevy S-10, Ford Ranger, GM or a Nissan Frontier. All seem to be within my price range.

In the past few days I learned a thing or two about these babies and tentatively scheduled a time next Friday to go with an acquantance who's a dealer to the Mannheim dealer auction. that's where I bought my current car.

Now, do I REALLY must have a gun rack and a Confederate flag sticker in the back window? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cruisin' for bruisin'.

Got a '98 Dodge Ram 1500 extended cab. Sweet gas-guzzling beejeezus!

A follow-up question - is it safe to transport 1600 lbs. of ceramic tile in this baby for 180 miles or my suspension is going to be shot? :blink:

With Dodge Ram pickups, make sure you check under the dash on the passenger's side after a heavy rainstorm. These trucks are notorious for leaking in the corner of their wrap-around windshields. If left unchecked, it wreaks havoc on the electrical system.

1,600 lbs is a lot and I'd be a lot more worried about how safely the truck will drive rather than damage to the suspension. With that much weigth, turning at speeds above 30 will be tough and plan well in advance for stopping. The brakes will fail if you jump on them... expect major brake fade. Be careful. The worst thing about getting into an accident with that much weight is that it's all right behind you. Slabs of ceramic tile being thrown at you at 65 mph is likely to cause a very painful death.

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan