Moondance and Astral Weeks

AmirBagachelles

Does anybody know why these two gems have never gotten top notch remastering from the label? Do they not own the tapes? All of the other great Van the man records have gotten a nice upgrade since the late 80s. I'm not sure Moondance could sound any better, maybe a little less reverb, but Astral Weeks has some lush strings that really sound bad in 1st gen digital. Amazing records these are. Does anybody know how Van came to use Richard Davis and Connie Kay on Astral Weeks? Van-heads - show yourselves please.

About the question of how jazzers Richard Davis and Connie Kay (and Jay Berliner) happened to play on "Astral Weeks," based on what I've read I would suppose they were called in by producer Lewis Merenstein. Although we know those musicians as jazz improvisers, I think they were also doing a lot of quite remunerative session work at the time and were playing on everything from tv commercials to pop sessions. To them "Astral Weeks" was probably just another gig (I believe Richard Davis has been quoted as saying so, in fact.)

At the time of the "Astral Weeks" sessions, Van was living in Cambridge, Mass, and gigging with mostly local musicians there. However, the only one who made it on to the record was the flute player John Payne and apparently the original plan was to replace him as well. I think it was probably Merenstein's idea to bring in the session musicians. Although almost everyone now considers the results classic, I'm not so sure how happy Van was with the decision at the time.

While on the subject of Van reissues, I'll bet that a lot of people didn't even notice that some of Van's '70's albums were remastered and released on CD a second time. Outside of the fact that there was no publicity, I would attribute this to the fact that the packaging was not significantly different.

I'm not a big fan of creative packaging and I don't think the album cover should be changed, but it seems to me that if you make an upgrade of a prexisting product you should do SOMETHING to distinguish it somehow. This can be done through the CD spine, the part of the case next to the cover (whatever you call that), the back card, etc.

Instead all Warner Brothers' did with the Van remasters was put a measly little sticker on the new versions of the new Van CDs. They did the same thing when the remastered Joni Mitchell's catalogue as well. This is not the way to sell music!

In contrast, Elvis Costello's catalogue has been done three times ( first originals on Columbia and Warner, then reissues on Ryko Disc, now reissues on Rhino) and each set is distinct and easy to identify. Less dramatic positive examples are the Dylan and Rolling Stones remasters issued in recent years.

Edited by HWright

I could not understand the attraction of "Astral Weeks" when it first came out, and I still am not moved by it, despite Richard Davis's sonorous presence. Van seemed like a cryptic poseur. I recall that Davis considered "Astral Weeks" to simply be a relatively well-paying studio gig.

For a similar feel and sound, I've preferred Van Morrison's "Veedon Fleece", since its release 5 or 6 years later (not as cryptic, more mature, and earthier than "Astral Weeks").

wow the last 3 posts taking the Van hyperbole down a notch, but still: side 2 of Moondance, Astral Weeks... mmmm inspiring music first rate '68 for absolute sure, and yes so much of the Warner years is excellent. (I'll be giving it up for Van on the discman and at home for the next few days, can't you tell?)

I've never made it all the way through "Astral Weeks," despite the high regard for the album. It may be one of those albums that, once heard a few times, really grows on you and becomes indispensable.

In a conversation with Richard Davis many years ago I asked him about the album and his response was pretty much what has been noted above. He did talk about efforts to bring the group together for a sequel, but that never did come off, and, of course, would be impossible now.

Follow up to my previous post:

Last night I read the sections dealing with "Astral Weeks" in Clinton Heylin's new book on Van Morrison. Heylin says that Producer Merenstein made the call to Richard Davis, selecting him as the studio boss of the session (he was considered very reliable, talented and well organized in this respect) and Davis then recommended the other jazz session players to Merenstein, who then approved their participation.