Dylan Rocks the House

Matthew

Dylan gave a great concert at UC Irvine last night. He's on this "College Tour" where he is going to colleges throughout the country with his band. Small band, with a basic music line-up: Stu Kimbal on lead guitar, Larry Cambell various guitars, Tony Garnier bass, and drummer (sorry, couldn't catch the name). They came out dressed like "Jason and the Scorchers;" the long , grey C&W coats, while Dylan was in black. Very hard driving music where even familar material cam across with new life. Dylan was in great form, his vioce was outstanding, and his harmonica playing was a wonder to behold, with several great solos. Set list had some interesting choices for the night. Masters of War never sounded as timely as last night; Highway 61 Revisted was a powerhouse rocker; and my personal favorite, Every Grain of Sand was a thing of beautiful to hear live. If anyone is interested in Dylan, go see him on this tour, he is truly in great form.

Set list from last night:

To Be Alone With You

The Times They Are A-Changin'

Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum

Floater (Too Much To Ask)

It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

Make You Feel My Love

Highway 61 Revisited

Boots Of Spanish Leather

High Water (For Charley Patton)

Every Grain Of Sand

Masters Of War

Honest With Me

It Ain't Me, Babe

Summer Days

encore

Like A Rolling Stone

All Along The Watchtower

Edited by Matthew

• 2 weeks later...

Another--quite different--view of a Dylan concert:

Bob Dylan: Shock Rocker

Posted by CW Fisher on November 02, 2004 05:47 PM (See all posts by CW Fisher)

Filed under: Music, Music: Rock - Scroll down to read comments on this story and/or add one of your own.

I think he pretty much had to move over to keyboards last year, either due to carpal tunnel or the effects of an old hand injury (perhaps as noted in the "Oh Mercy" section of his book.) If someone knows for sure please speak up.

"Fanfare for the Common Man," a piece so overused it's a mockery of itself, the song we hear in our heads as we pitch another beer bottle into the garbage can.

Wow, throw a beer bottle in the garbage can. This guy either lives high on the hog, lives in a state where this isn't a bottle bill or is a non-recycling pig!

I guess his beer bottle tossing song beats "Also Sprach Zarathustra" though. :lol: