For DC jazz fans

bertrand

Two jazz events coming up for DC jazz fans which I will attend:

1. Former Messenger Dave Schnitter (ts) at Twins with a great rhythm section (Harry Appelman - Steve Novosel - Steve Williams) - I will most likely be there Saturday.

2. Jazz film at the Library of Congress 7 PM Monday 11/1: Roland Kirk; Horace Silver (United States Of Mind period); Lee Morgan quintet, a month before his death! I will not miss this.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Bertrand,

I'm glad you posted the information about the jazz movies at the LOC. I was going to do so, but the board was down, and I had to leave on a business trip before it came back up. Anyway, I do plan to go the movie on Monday night, 11/01. I have made a reservation. Will you be there?

For anyone else who might be interested, here's the information:

Monday, November 1 (7:00 pm)

Jazz and Soul Television

Soul: Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Horace Silver, Lee Morgan (NET, 1967-1973)

The remaining nights of our Jazz and Soul Festival will be devoted to episodes from a series titled Soul, which aired between 1967-73 on NET (National Educational Television). Tonight's first hour focused on a rare television appearance by the blind multi-instrumentalist Rahsaan Roland Kirk and his Vibration Society. The second hour presents pianist-composer Horace Silver and his group United States of Mind, with Andy and Salome Bey, and finally trumpeter Lee Morgan's Quintet with saxophonist Billy Harper, pianist Harold Mabern, bassist Jymie Merritt, drummer Freddie Waits and one number with guest flutist Bobbi Humphrey. Kirk and Silver are both interviewed by series producer-host Ellis B. Haizlip.

RESERVATIONS may be made by phone, beginning one week before any given show. Call (202) 707-5677 during business hours (Monday-Friday, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm). Reserved seats must be claimed at least 10 minutes before showtime, after which standbys will be admitted to unclaimed seats. All programs are free, but seating is limited to 60 seats. The Mary Pickford Theater is located on the third floor of the Library of Congress Madison building.

There was a movie last week about Elvin Jones, but I didn't find out about it in time. Anyone see it?

I have to say the jazz offerings at the Library of Congress last night was eye opening. Does anyone remember a public broadcasting show called Soul! ?? Apparently it ran in New York for six years (assuming 1968 - 1973), and based on the two episodes that were shown last night, this is a series worthy of rediscovery. It is also a product of its time -- men and women sporting perfect circle afros, trendy multicolored outfits, tough guy leather jackets, turtlenecks, an occassional hep white cat smoking something in the corner, etc. Two shows -- one with Horace Silver and his group performing material from the then new United States of Mind series, Lee Morgan with his final group playing material that would surface on his final album, plus Sidewinder, Bobbi Humphrey playing a tune, and Rashaan Roland Kirk kicking out the jams (and committing hilarious assault on a folding chair) for an hour of great and inspiring music. With the exception of the very silly (and of its time) pseudo psychedelic green electical visual effect that punctuated a Horace Silver tune, the shows were shot very straightforward -- I liked that they showed close ups of Lee Morgan's playing the flugelhorn, and Roland Kirk's amazing display of multi instrument playing.

Apparently the Library of Congress has only two seasons worth of material from this series, but this is something that should be comercially available. If anything, the music was funky and fun and unusual in that it could been seen on regular television.

The bonus clip was from an Ed Sullivan Show. Rashaan Roland Kirk, Archie Shepp, Charles Mingus, Howard McGhee, Dick Griffin, Roy Haynes!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!

Stefan, thanks for the excellent description of the LOC shows last night. Let me add a few thoughts of my own.

--- The fundamental virtue of "Soul!" was that it clearly believed in the music of these artists, and gave them a chance to perform on television in a manner that allowed them to really express themselves; not a chance they often had.

--- These shows were produced in the early 1970s for the National Education Television network (NET). When I look at what has happend to public television since then, it's quite disappointing. Could we get a show like "Soul!" produced now? I don't think so-- although I'd like to be proven wrong!

--- The Kirk performance was eye-opening. It was hilarious in a way-- he made Pete Townsend of The Who look like Emily Post when it came to destroying stage fixtures. But it was also sad, because he seemed to me to be expressing a profound rage and frustration, which also came through in his stage "rap." It's not surprising to realize he suffered a major stroke only a few years after this show was aired.

--- Horace Silver's music was funky, but his lyrics, for the most part, are still pretty hard to take; like reading from a health store manual. But I respect what he was trying to do. With all the drug, alcohol addictions so prevalent then (and now :( ) Horace was trying to affirm a cleaner, healthier way to live and realize onself. Who knows, maybe it helped some of those who heard it. Horace sure looked happy as hell while playing it.

---Billy Harper's sax playing really knocked me out.

---Lee Morgan on flugelhorn was something of a surprise.

I'll try to catch the Max Roach, M-Boom show next week. It was good to see you and Bertrand there.

Edited by Leeway