McCoy Tyner - "Land of Giants"

sal

Not exactly new, but I couldn't find a thread so I decided to start one. I liked this CD from the start. If I recall, general thoughts were mixed on this one, but for me it was enjoyable right away. Well anyways, last night I put CNN on mute and gave this one a spin. You ever have one of those experiences where you've heard a record god knows how many times, and all of a sudden you hear it with a new pair of ears? That's how this one was last night. A ray of light during an election day nightmare.

The playing on this album is really fine. McCoy displays his monster chops and advanced harmonic sense on the bop-flavored numbers...and really shines on the slower ones. His playing here is really energized..alot like on his Milestone releases from the 70's....and FAR more so than on his other recent recordings. Bobby Hutcherson, who always makes a simpatico partner to McCoy, seems to add that "shine" of the vibraphone to all the right spots. He blesses this album not so much by his solos (which he doesn't do alot of), but by displaying his deep understanding of McCoy's music and decorating it beautifully. Charnett Moffet and Eric Harland are two of the best in the game right now. Moffet's solos on this recording are absolutely incredible! Are there any other bass players out there who can solo as good as this guy? And Eric Harland is one of those new breed of drummers in the company of Brian Blade and Nasheet Waits who is really moving the concept of jazz drumming forward. He's all over the place....dropping bombs, soloing, accenting, and swinging the hell out of everything....all at the same time sounding like nobody else but Eric Harland. The band chemistry is about as tight as it gets. The album was recorded after an extensive tour, and you can hear it.

This one to me is among McCoy's finest recordings. If you have this one and it didn't quite reach you, I encourage you to give it another try and really hear how on point these guys are, and hear the beauty in the music they play. If you have it and enjoy it , let's hear your thoughts!

Charnett Moffet and Eric Harland are two of the best in the game right now. Moffet's solos on this recording are absolutely incredible! Are there any other bass players out there who can solo as good as this guy?

Have you heard Moffett's new release? It's awfully good.

Sounds like a good album. Coincidentally, I picked up a McCoy disc today, the RVG of TENDER MOMENTS, and have really enjoyed what I've heard so far. It's my first Tyner as leader session, and the nonet sounds very coherent, with great charts, and excellent soloists. I know I'll have to get THE REAL MCCOY soon.

Pryan - THE REAL McCOY is a timeless, timeless classic. Really great, compositions and playing are oh so memorable. You're in for a treat.

Next to that, of his BNs back then I really enjoy EXPANSIONS which is way overdue for RVG treatment. Everything he did for the label in the late 60's/early 70's is worth hearing but those are my two favorites.

Sal, don't recall in what thread it was but I think you and I had a dialogue about the LAND OF GIANTS disc previously and I agree with most of what you say.

I still find Eric Harland's drumming is just not to my taste - clearly has massive chops, but uses way too much of the rock inflection that seem so common in younger jazz drummers. Not that I dislike rock drumming, but not when it sounds like it was dropped into the middle of a mainstream jazz session! Seriously, he's not that bad by any stretch but I would love to have heard this one with someone more subtle and musical like Victor Lewis at the traps. Or even Brian Blade, who is one young guy who I really DO dig for his musicality and ability to ratchet down his volume when it's called for. I see him and Harland as miles apart except for maybe their ages.

Charnett is on the game but a little oddly recorded (you actually hear more string vibration and clicking than bass at certain points), a strange blemish on an otherwise impeccable and very natural-sounding recording (I have the hybrid SACD and the CD layer sounds fantastic on a tube DAC/amp set up).

Tyner is in great form as is Hutch, which is the most gratifying thing. So in all, really quite a good one, well worth having in your Tyner collection, but when it's time to float off to the desert island, I'd take McCoy and Bobby alone (a la the Blue Note CD of duets they did back about 10 years ago) anytime.

Edited by DrJ

Sal, don't recall in what thread it was but I think you and I had a dialogue about the LAND OF GIANTS disc previously and I agree with most of what you say.

DrJ,

I do remember that conversation very well now that you mention it! Did you ever get to check out some other examples of Harland's drumming, like Osby's "Inner Circle" or Terrance Blanchard's "Bounce"? I'm convinced that anyone who appreciates quality musicianship can be turned on to Eric Harland! ;)

sal Posted: Nov 4 2004, 12:06 PM 

QUOTE (DrJ @ Nov 4 2004, 01:08 AM)

DrJ,

I do remember that conversation very well now that you mention it! Did you ever get to check out some other examples of Harland's drumming, like Osby's "Inner Circle" or Terrance Blanchard's "Bounce"? I'm convinced that anyone who appreciates quality musicianship can be turned on to Eric Harland! 

Still haven't had a chance to catch up with those, sal, I'm especially interested in the Blanchard though as I've become a pretty big fan of his playing. Will let you know what I think of Harland's contributions when I do! ^_^