Joost Buis - Astronotes

Steve Reynolds

an excerpt from somwhere else

this is a recording that DEMANDS to be heard

no funny rat thread for this - from a previous post, some might remember I don't like the idea of a thread that separates "so-called" out jazz from the rest

plus my wife thought this one was a beaut - she says this isn't "twisty" like most of the stuff you listen to

it's actually quite melodic - and when you all hear the Duke tune - swing high and swing higher

recorded in 2002 - available from DMG - should be in all major record shops - but alas the musical world as some of us know it is past insane

Musicians: Felicity Provan -- cornet, Joost Buis -- trombone, Jan Willem van der Ham -- alto, bassoon, Tobias Delius -- tenor, clarinet, Frans Vermeerssen -- baritone, Paul Pallesen -- guitar, Cor Fuhler (familiar to me only from The Flirts and a revelation here) -- piano, organ, Wilbert de Joode -- bass, Alan Purves -- percussion, Michael Vatcher, percussion

what a record - if I have heard more new releases - this would be record of the year (with a close second to the Rowe/Beins miracle show)

first track is stunning - one those great jazz tunes with no solos - from the Cherry (or more closely McPhee) like cornet opening building into a rhythm which I have never heard before - is this jazz - is jazz dead? - are these guys from our planet? - I guess there are new ways to say new things - doubters need to hear this - only precedent I can think of is the opening track to a great Michael Formanek recording - Low Profile (Groogly, I think) that used some of the same elements - this is even neater - Buis sees no need to overdue thinsg - all tracks are under seven and a half minutes - and most are comfortably in the four to five minute range. No theme solo theme formula - yet the music is as easy to get and to groove to any bop record - unless one is simply at loggerheads with anything outside the idiom.

when Delius enters during the second track, the promise of the opener is intensified. Full, throaty tenor - yet of the year now - jazz is dead!?!?

and the pianist - especially remembering hearing him on the great Hands of Caravaggio - could he also be such a great and senstive pianist of this sort - and when the recording closes out with that organ - now in the third track - we hear some guitar and baritone playing together over a bustling rhythm section - with the baritone being used in an unusual way - mainly as an accompiantment - building into a pure riff - impressive stuff indeed

and the first abstract piece is short - then to evidence that this really is Cor Fuhler - as we hear the inside of the piano being struck - and this (The Comet's Point of View) actually turns into something resembling a ballad - with the pianist taking to the standard portion of the piano - but despite the obviously accomplished musicianship which permeates through all of the music played - not many solos anywhere of any lenghth - wait a minute - not always the case - sound of surprise - is that a baritone saxophonist playing in this band that is from the school of Harry Carney?? - it is!! yet we hear the individual voices of the members of the band

in a band with Cor Fuhler - nice

and anytime a band is willing to drop a great groove, you know they believe in their music - hear Spaghetti Canon - groove resumes - but not where it was - where is it going?

sounds, noises - all gorgeous - and the leader isn't interested in hearing himself - he is spotlighting the members of the band - the trombone playing is mostly used as a member of the ensemble

waiting on the Ducal tune - *I* might even dance to it

one other thing - sound quality - stupendous - puts so many recordings to shame - and I'm sure they didn't have more than a small fraction of what the blue note of the last ten years have to make most of their releases sound like dog shit in comparison to something like this - props to Dick Lucas - who I was not familiar with prior to hearing this record

Funny rat has this one covered ( or mentioned at least). It's a very tasty album indeed. Picked it up on the strength of some excellent soloing by Buis with the remarkable Tom Bancroft Orchestro Interupto ( with Geri Allen)

Elements of Sun Ra I thought. Lots of depth so I've not got the full measure of it yet but recommended for accessible yet adventurous listening.