Jan Garbarek / Ustad Fateh Ali Khan

John B

Has anyone here heard this disc and have a recommendation either pro or con? AMG gives this one a fairly postive review but, before pulling the trigger and grabbing a copy, I was hoping to get more feedback. I'm a fan of Pakistani music and of Garbarek's earlier work that I have heard, and am curious how well the two mesh here.

Thanks in advance!

Here is the review from AMG:

"The saxophone is not an instrument usually associated with Pakistani music. And Pakistanis are not especially famous for collaborating with Norwegians. But that is what listeners have on this incredible recording. The music is predominantly Pakistani in sound, tonality, and structure; voice, sarangi, and tabla improvise along with Garbarek's saxophone on every track. For aficionados of Indian or Pakistani music, this is a great recording; Garbarek's lines are right in step with the traditional styles of improvisation. Listeners unacquainted with these traditions will find this recording a mesmerizingly exotic disc. Those familiar with Garbarek's work will be very surprised. This is a completely unique recording for him; one can only hope that he makes further explorations in this vein."

Well, hey, Garbarek's got that way of really bending his pitch when he feels like it, as well as a natural mellismatic bent and a wide range of vibrato, so I think it's a more natural pairing than one might think at first thought, especially if you think about compatable intuitions instead of compatable externals.

Some interesting reviews from Amazon, where all the reviews are postitive.

He is Ustaad Fateh Ali Khan not Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, September 6, 2000

Reviewer: Muhammad Rashid Iqbal Mian (Lahore, Punjab Pakistan) - See all my reviews

I want to tell people he is Ustaad Fateh Ali Khan belong to a great Pakistani musical family named Patiala Gharana. And Ustaad Fateh Ali Khan is big name in music Masters than Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. Ustaad Fateh Ali Khan is the son of Ustad Akhtar Hussain Khan of the Patiala Gharana of khayal(a type of eastern melody) singers, Ustaad Fateh Ali Khan, in addition to being an accomplished khayal singer, exercised equal mastery over several light and highly melodious forms.With his brother Ustaad Amanat Ali Khan(1932-74), he is the other half of the famous singing duo which established a style of presentation that has rarely been equled. He is a winner of Pride of Performance award on his music achievments in Pakistan. He also awarded a prize from Pakistani President. Now in these days Pitala Gharana of Pakistan have three great singers. Ustaad Fateh Ali Khan, Ustaad Hamid Ali Khan and Asad Amanat Ali Khan.

Where as Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan he is the singer of other type of music named Qawali.I m astonished why people mix Ustaad Fateh Ali Khan and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. Isn't they feel the difference of voice.

9 of 9 people found the following review helpful:

One of the best world fusion albums BUT this is NOT Nusrat., May 9, 2000

Reviewer: "hingol" (Trenton) - See all my reviews

One of the best albums of Pakistani (North Indian) classical music combined with Jan Garbarek's Norwegian jazz. The Pakistani vocalist is Ustad Fateh Ali Khan, NOT Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. I know the same names are confusing. Ustad Fateh Ali Khan is a big name in Classical Music in Pakistan. He's been performing ever since I can remember, watching him on late night tv. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan who is popular in the west as well was basically a Qawwal. The two genres of music are totally different. [Amazon.com, it might be a good idea to put a note up regarding this confusion.] Im surprised how people cant pick the difference between the two singers' voices. Two of the tracks also feature Deepika Thataal's voice. She has been a classical music student of Ustad Fateh Ali. She also has two of her own albums of Norwegian rock/techno fused with Pakistani folk and classical tunes. 

ok, I'm sold. with the BMG $5.99 sale this is turning into a no-brainer.

so what do you think? I happened to get this with the BMG 5.99/no SH deal also, and it just came today. Only on track one but so far I like it. I also got Brahem/Surman/Holland, Thimar, also on ECM-that's next in the CD player

I also got Brahem/Surman/Holland, Thimar, also on ECM-that's next in the CD player

This album is fab. When it came out I listened to it quite nearly every day. The sonorities of Surman's bass clarinet, Holland's bass, and the 'ud make for fine partners.

One of my favorite cuts is the duo with Holland and Brahem.

Garbarek also played with Brahem on Madar(ECM 1515)along with Shaukat Hussain again-if Ragas does it for you then you should like this one too...then of course there's the two sets he did with Shankar from the 80's-Vision and Song For Everyone(Don Cherry did some gigs with J.G. and Shankar but sadly didn't record)and the sublime "Making Music" by Zakir Hussain with Mclaughlin and Hariprasad Chaurasia.He also played on a couple of tracks on Trilok Gurtu's "Living Magic"