How do I get that gig?

Jim Alfredson

Watching PBS and they have some concert on with Robert Cray, Clapton, and another guitarist I don't recognize (well, actually there are bunch of guys up there I don't recognize, but they are soloing).

So how do I get that gig? Sitting back there, playing B3 on three-chord blues tunes all night with Robert Cray and Clapton?

Buddy Guy just came out. Looks like Jimmy Vaughn is there, too. Buddy is a bad motherfucker.

How do I get that gig? Damn.

I saw Buddy Guy a few years back before I was such a B3 fan. (Sorry, it took a while to warm up to) He had this huge guy (300+ pounds) that was playing a B3 wildly at times like I'd never seen. That might have been the first B3 playing I really enjoyed.

Cray, Clapton, Guy, Vaughan, others. Sounds like either the Tribute to SRV in which case you should see Bonnie Raitt, BB King, Dr John OR the Albert Hall shindig Clapton had a few years back in which case you'll see Albert Collins.

I think you were watching the Crossroads Guitar Festival.

When I was young, I used to love events like that. As I've gotten older and more jaded, I stopped watching these types of concerts, but I saw this on PBS last week and it was a good show.

Heck... Clapton even played well. :P

Maybe that Cream reunion won't be so bad... :g

I guess it's the Crossroads Blues Festival.  John Mayer is on now... that dude can actually play.  I don't care for his singing but he can play guitar.

I saw in interview with him were he was talking about the time he spent at Berklee. One comment cracked me up. He said, "I wanted to be the kind of guitarist that made other guitarists say, 'Man, that guy is better than me.'" :D

As to the question in the title of your thread; it's not what you know, it's who you know...