"Pure Jerry" series

jazzbo

Well, I really enjoy the first release in the "Pure Jerry" series, releases of live Jerry Garcia Band shows along the lines of "Dick's Picks." (Sort of).

pj1.jpg

It has the dreaded Donna Jean if that is a problem for some. . . not for me. Jerry plays so well and the band is having fun and "groovin'"!

There is a second one out:

pj2.jpgfour cd set

pj3.jpgthree cd set

I haven't gotten this one yet, I ordered it and the next one and should have them in about 12 days. . . . Not sure what to expect on this one because my knowledge of the 1987 band is slim, but there are two editions really in this volume (a four cd set and a three cd set), and electric and acoustic music is included. Should be good. Anyone already enjoying these and have impressions?

Finally, coming December 20 is a third one, with Merl Saunders:

How can that be bad?JYCD18.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

I actually used to enjoy the solo Garcia concerts more than the Dead. It was more low-keyed. You could sit right up with the band and groove with them. And there were no 20-minute drum solos to wait through. ^_^

Actually, I did miss not having Phil Lesh behind Jerry. But it was worth not having Lesh if I could get rid of Bob Weir as well. :lol:

I actually used to enjoy the solo Garcia concerts more than the Dead. It was more low-keyed. You could sit right up with the band and groove with them. And there were no 20-minute drum solos to wait through. ^_^

Actually, I did miss not having Phil Lesh behind Jerry. But it was worth not having Lesh if I could get rid of Bob Weir as well. :lol:

:lol::lol:

Hey! What do you have against pink shorts and bad song choices? ;)

As I've been building my Grateful Dead live show collection, I've also been trying to keep up on the JGB/Legion of Mary, etc... shows. I really enjoy them. I'm sure I'll be buying these discs eventually.

The one that I miss in the Garcia Bands is Kreutzman; that man is an incredible drummer, and he really knew how to make Jerry swing.

I wouldn't miss the drum solos either, and in fact the two drummer band irritates me. . . I'm more happy with just Billy behind the skins.

I'm a Weir fan though. . . .He does have his moments where he can't sing worth a damn but when he is ON I dig it a lot, and he's quite a writer and player!

The one that I miss in the Garcia Bands is Kreutzman; that man is an incredible drummer, and he really knew how to make Jerry swing. 

I wouldn't miss the drum solos either, and in fact the two drummer band irritates me. . . I'm more happy with just Billy behind the skins.

I'm a Weir fan though. . . .He does have his moments where he can't sing worth a damn but when he is ON I dig it a lot, and he's quite a writer and player!

I like Weir too. But he does have his quirks... :P

Good observation about Kreutzman. In my opinion, during the period when Mickey Hart was away from the band (71-74), Billy K. really stepped up and the band was at its peak.

Truthfully, I wish Mickey Hart would never have returned. I think having two drummers helped the band lose the flexibility it had gained.

Edited by AfricaBrass

Lon, I'm telling you. You have to check out the Hampton Coliseum show that I've been harping on. Jerry's guitar on "Shining Star" is so wonderful. I can't imagine this won't be released. Of course, I like the vintage stuff too. Some people have problems with the guitar tone he developed over the years. Me, not so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the new Pure Jerry arrived yesterday and I've heard the whole set and have to say. . . WOW!

JYCD18.jpg

This is a great sounding three cd set with killer performances!

There's even a mystery trumpeter on one track who is really doing a great job!

Exceded my expectations!

Have you seen me championing those turkey albums Clem? I'm a huge fan of Weir with the Dead. "Ace" basically IS a Dead album. I don't own those others, and I WON'T. But "Weather Report Suite" I feel is a sort of small masterpiece. I love his singing when he's not shouting and he's "on." And I think he's a helluva guitarist; listening to his chord choices and his comping support is always pleasing.

No argument from me on the other stuff. I don't own any Kingfish or "Heaven Help the Fool" and Ratdog, what's that? B-)

and clem to your earlier question: I have no good or even mild knowledge of the JGB output before '79, I really only know the old keystone Lp. I wish I knew the tapes better, too. On the live side, Jerry was impressive to me as a band leader, and the range of styles in a given set was huge, I thought going to a JGB show in a small venue was as good as it could get. I need to get the Broadway discs, though having listened to the Warner Theatre DC tape from 77 for years, I guess I should try that first Pure Jerry. The Almost Acoustic is an old favorite too.

I like Weir too. But he does have his quirks... :P

Good observation about Kreutzman. In my opinion, during the period when Mickey Hart was away from the band (71-74), Billy K. really stepped up and the band was at its peak.

Truthfully, I wish Mickey Hart would never have returned. I think having two drummers helped the band lose the flexibility it had gained.

You know it's weird... when I was seeing most of my Dead shows back in the early 80's the prevailing wisdom at the time (Okay, at least among me and my buddies) was that Hart was the better of the two. Now many years (and after listening to hundreds and hundreds of GD shows) later I've done a complete 180. Billy the K. was the man. The 72-74 era is my favorite but I also like the 68-70 era which Hart contributed a lot to as well. When he came on board in late '67 he changed the whole dynamic of the band and he fit in well. I can't imagine what those 68-69 psychedelic powerhouse jams would have sounded like w/out him. And I do think the music suffered in 1971 after he left, though I'll allow that Pigpen's decling health may have played a role in that as well.

I think part of the problem for Hart and the Dead after he rejoined the band is that after being out of the band for 3 & 1/2 years he had a lot of catching up to do. The Dead of 1976 and beyond were a totally different beast from the band he left in early '71. I can't remember who said it, maybe it was Phil, but one of the reasons why they took a year off from touring (besides the fact that they were losing money) was that their music was getting too complex and too far ahead of the rest of the rock world/audience to comprehend fully, and they just decided that they had to wait for everyone else to catch up.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that they grew tired of waiting for everyone to catch up and they just decided to simplify their musical language instead. That is not to say that they did not create wonderful, exploratory music after their retirement - they did - just not in the same vain as 68-74. YMMV.

Also, I find Hart to be the most annoying member of the band, especialy in interviews. He seems like he's too caught up in the mythos of the Grateful Dead. He reminds me of listening to Ray Manzarek of the Doors who, imho, is responsible for foisting "the Lizard King" persona of Jim Morrison on the public more than anyone. Except for maybe Oliver Stone :g

Nice to see a Dead thread here - I was enthusiastic early on for the Dead (late 1960s) but fell asleep for quite some time; I was partly turned off by Garcia's jazz attempts, which struck as student modalism - but when dealing with the music he knew and loved, he had a touch and feeling beyond compare in the rock world. Don't know if anyone has seen the film Festival Express, but it's a good testimony to the power of 1960s rock as wellas the Dead -

Now I have a question - I saw the Dead at their Central park concert in 1967 and was wondering if anyone knows if any tapes exist of it -