forthcoming bill charlap/new york trio

etherbored

hiya,

i mentioned that a new bill charlap new york trio record will be released in january by venus. its title is stairway to the stars, is slated for january 26, and will be catalog # tkcv-35344.

the track listing, as selected by the readers of swing journal is:

-lover come back to me

-stairway to the stars

-lullaby of the leaves

-smoke gets in your eyes

-i'll be seeing you

-can't help loving dat man

-body and soul

-the man i love

-a sleeping bee

-stella by starlight

happy holidays!

-e-

ps: the new kenny barron project that has the monker super trio has an interesting looking one entitled super standard just out...

35343.jpg

Thanks for posting this. That is very good news. Except for "Stardust", I haven't been that excited with Charlap's Blue Note releases. I much prefer his Venus releases -- esp. "'S Wonderful".

If you have the Kenny Barron, what do you think of it?

Edited by Bol

I much prefer his Venus releases -- esp. "'S Wonderful".

If you have the Kenny Barron, what do you think of it?

---

bol,

how right you are and i could not agree more!

s'wonderful is amazing. i own 4 copies of it (jewelcase, SACD, mini-lp, and vinyl). i've talked with bill about this and he says he hears no difference between the venus and blue note recordings, but he's got to be putting me on!

i heard the samples of the barron disc at www.venusrecord.com. it was just released today (12/22; yesterday in japan). i will definitely pick it up.

happy holidays!

-e-

ps: and yes, bill stewart is the stewart in question... ^_^

s'wonderful is amazing. i own 4 copies of it (jewelcase, SACD, mini-lp, and vinyl). i've talked with bill about this and he says he hears no difference between the venus and blue note recordings, but he's got to be putting me on!

I thought I was a big fan of "'S Wonderful"!! That recording was the first post-1967 recording that I really came to love. Shortly after I started to listen to jazz, about 5 years ago, a record store owner who had become a friend, raved about it, and seeing my reluctance to try it, told me to just take it and bring it back for a full refund if I did not like it. So I took it. First, it was just very pleasant. Then one day, as I was slowly falling asleep for a nap, something just clicked. Since then, I've picked up everything that Charlap has put out. And I caught him at the Vanguard this past spring. Every time I begin to think that he is too traditional, and does nothing new, I just need to put a disc on and realize how much I like his playing and how elegant I find it. Having said that, I find his Blue Notes a little boring. Except for "Stardust", which I like a lot (but could do without the vocals).

Please post your reaction to the Barron when you get it. It's certainly a very attractive cover. Also, if anyone has Barry Harris's "Last Time I Saw Paris" on Venus, reactions would be most appreciated.

Edited by Bol

Please post your reaction to the Barron when you get it. It's certainly a very attractive cover. Also, if anyone has Barry Harris's "Last Time I Saw Paris" on Venus, reactions would be most appreciated.

---

i *am* a big fan of s'wonderful, no doubt about it. it's chock full of intelligent twists and turns that i never tire of. so do his new york trio records, for that matter. if you haven't heard any, i may be convinced to burn them for you. in fact, here's a funny story about s'wonderful. when i met bill for the second time about 6 months ago i told him i brought a copy of my favorite recording (by him) with me for him to sign and would he care to guess which one? "it has a woman on water-ski's" he says, completely flooring me. then we talked about how venus covers harken to the vampy covers of the mid to late 1950's.

i encourage you to check out the barron samples online. i like what i hear. jay leonhart is on bass and al foster is drumming...

cheers,

-e-

Thanks for your offer, but I have all the NYT discs, and like them a lot. I eagerly await their new one, and hope for a really vampy cover!

Did you see the blind test with Charlap in the current issue of "JazzTimes"? He gets all of them right. Kinda freakish.

Edited by Bol

Thanks for your offer, but I have all the NYT discs, and like them a lot. I eagerly await their new one, and hope for a really vampy cover!

Did you see the blind test with Charlap in the current issue of "JazzTimes"? He gets all of them right. Kinda freakish.

He is a not a bad muthafucka for no reason!

---

i hate to be the one to break it to you, but you mey be disappointed...

the cover is a relatively tame affair featuring a couple sitting on a park bench at night staring lovingly into each others eyes as a couple cars (is one a taxi?) whiz by in a blurry background. i'm sure it's not a sieff piece.

-e-

Thanks for the Venus dealer recommendations. :tup

My next question is, why are these recordings of "mainstream" artists (Charlap, Barron, etc.) not more readily available in the U.S., either through licensing/partnering with U.S. labels or through direct distribution? I apologize if this is already a well-worn topic on this or other BB's, or if it's otherwise just one of those questions for the ages. Don't forget, I'm just a Newbie. :unsure:

Well, I WAS a Newbie when I first posted this, but I've since posted my 10th message which apparently metamorphosed me into a full-fledged "Member". :party: I'll have to find another excuse for dumb questions. :blink:

Edited by Ron S

Thanks for the Venus dealer recommendations. :tup

My next question is, why are these recordings of "mainstream" artists (Charlap, Barron, etc.) not more readily available in the U.S., either through licensing/partnering with U.S. labels or through direct distribution? I apologize if this is already a well-worn topic on this or other BB's, or if it's otherwise just one of those questions for the ages. Don't forget, I'm just a Newbie. :unsure:

Actually, it's a very good question which I don't have an answer for. It would be great if they were more available here. The only way I found out about the new Harold Mabern cd, for example, was that Harold mentioned it when I was talking to him after a recent gig here in Jersey. Frankly, the only way to keep up with what Venus is doing is to do a search on sites like HMV.

• 1 month later...

Do you guys have any favorite online U.S. sources for Venus releases?  TIA.  :)

Ron,

I would recommend trying Hiroshi Tanno at hiroshi@earlyrecords.com

He's fast and cheap. That's who I purchase all my Japanese stuff from.

Brad, check this out: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8706

Also, did you know you can order the Eddie Higgins Venus CD's direct from Eddie? He used to sell them for $15 (that may have gone up slightly, but it's still a great way to get them).

I don't know the answer to this question, either. But I believe that some of Venus titles have been released on now defunct Music Masters in 90's (or, was it the other way around?). Some others by Japanese comapanies made releases in the U.S. --- for example, DIW and Eighty-eights.

I am in total agreement about the Venus CDs & agree that Cadence is the best source.

Oops - I just quoted myself.

Well this does keep coming up.

At least you don't suffer from cognitive dissonance. :wacko: Oops, sorry--for a second I was thinking I was on the "Psychology Today" bulletin board. :blink:

hiya,

i mentioned that a new bill charlap new york trio record will be released in january by venus. its title is stairway to the stars, is slated for january 26,  and will be catalog # tkcv-35344.

the track listing, as selected by the readers of swing journal is:

-lover come back to me

-stairway to the stars

-lullaby of the leaves

-smoke gets in your eyes

-i'll be seeing you

-can't help loving dat man

-body and soul

-the man i love

-a sleeping bee

-stella by starlight

happy holidays!

-e-

ps: the new kenny barron project that has the monker super trio has an interesting looking one entitled super standard just out... 

35343.jpg

Help! Can't find the new Kenny Barron/Venus CD at Cadence. Did find the Harold Mabern there and wiould love to order both.

Thanks,

Marla

Also, did you know you can order the Eddie Higgins Venus CD's direct from Eddie? He used to sell them for $15 (that may have gone up slightly, but it's still a great way to get them).

Jim,

Had no idea Eddie would sell them directly. That's great because I'm sure there must be more out there than the 3 I have.

Do you know his address (I'm guessing it's something like eddiehiggins.com).