forthcoming bill charlap/new york trio

etherbored

hiya,

i mentioned that a new bill charlap new york trio record will be released in january by venus. its title is stairway to the stars, is slated for january 26,  and will be catalog # tkcv-35344.

the track listing, as selected by the readers of swing journal is:

-lover come back to me

-stairway to the stars

-lullaby of the leaves

-smoke gets in your eyes

-i'll be seeing you

-can't help loving dat man

-body and soul

-the man i love

-a sleeping bee

-stella by starlight

happy holidays!

-e-

ps: the new kenny barron project that has the monker super trio has an interesting looking one entitled super standard just out... 

35343.jpg

Help! Can't find the new Kenny Barron/Venus CD at Cadence. Did find the Harold Mabern there and wiould love to order both.

Thanks,

Marla

The one problem at Cadence is that it sometimes takes a while for the new issues to come in.

Send an e-mail to Slim at Cadence to let her know which ones you want, & she'll let you know when they arrive.

Thanks so much for the quick reply?

Do you have this CD and a listing of tunes?

I tried finding a way to purchase directly through Venus Records, but was unsuccessful.

Thanks again,

Marla

http://www.venusrecord.com

I'm waiting for it to come in at Cadence too.

I just looked at the Venus website & the track listing is in Japanese which I can't read.

Edited by jlhoots

Thanks for the link! Was able to identify most tunes via the sound bytes:

All Of Me

Bye Bye Blackbird

Cherokee

Doxy

Misty

Stolen Moments

Sunset and the Mockingbird

Sweet and Lovely

Willow Weep for Me

Even though most are standards I've heard hundreds of times, still look forward to anything new by Kenny Barron!

Marla

Thanks for the link!  Was able to identify most tunes via the sound bytes:

All Of Me

Bye Bye Blackbird

Cherokee

Doxy

Misty

Stolen Moments

Sunset and the Mockingbird

Sweet and Lovely

Willow Weep for Me

Even though most are standards I've heard hundreds of times, still look forward to anything new by Kenny Barron! 

Marla

I took a look at the Venus link and the three other tunes are:

Cleopatra's Dream

Summer Night

Yesterdays

• 3 weeks later...

Finally received and listened to "Super Standard - Super Trio." Playing is excellent. Leonhart, Barron and Foster aren't breaking any new ground but I'm a big fan of all three and they are masters of ballads, etc. Will give another listen this evening, as first go-around was with lots of interruptions. Want to pay attention to Foster's support - I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread - a concern for Foster's playing?

Marla

Does Leonhart sing on "Super Standard - Super Trio" ? I love his playing but hate his singing.

Did Mel Torme encourage Leonhart to sing more? I can forgive much in the singing department, but I just can't abide his. The last Leonhart cd I picked up with his singing I couldn't get rid of fast enough.

Why go the messy route when a poison tipped umbrella will do the trick?

A good suggestion considering the amount of rainfall we've been getting lately in SoCal. However there has always been something "reassuring" about the messy approach for me. Perhaps the feeling of a job truly completed.......I dunno...........

:D

Singing? no....just a few pleasant low key murmerings & mutterings during his solos.

On the newest Eddie Higgins, I thought Leonhart's murmerings & mutterings were a bit more noticeable than I had heard on previous Higgins Venus recordings. I found it pretty annoying- especially when using headphones. <_<