"The Art of Improvisation"

Guy Berger

Downloaded it today from easytree. (If the seed came from this board, thanks a lot!) Very interesting to hear the guy talking about music. I'd never seen any videos of the guy playing and that was interesting in itself. The footage of the Lloyd quartet and (especially) the American group were the best parts.

The interviews were also illuminating. It was interesting to hear Dewey Redman and Charlie Haden give contradictory opinions on the American group. I thought the Chick Corea segment ("I'm going to have to practice really hard!") was very funny. I wish they'd gotten Charles Lloyd, Paul Motian and someone from the Cellar Door band to contribute. And it sure would have been interesting to have someone from that '65 Blakey band (which didn't get mentioned, unfortunately) offer their opinion of young Keith.

Anyway, highly recommended!

Guy

He said that he was working with Ornette, Haden said Jarrett needed a saxophonist, he auditioned, and "I got hired, I think".

He then said something about how Ornette's music was very free while Jarrett's involved a lot more playing of Keith's compositions. To which Haden added, "but Dewey was playing very freely in that band."

Dewey also said something about playing percussion and musette.

Don't remember what else.

Guy

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I missed the documentary today on ARTE TV, but it is being repeated on May 20

http://www.arte-tv.com/fr/semaine/244,broa...,year=2005.html

I think it's well worth your time - pity about the French voice-overs, though. At least they had the little sense to subtitle the parts spoken by Jarrett (but even the questions posed to him are dubbed). As it happens, I didn't even know that this was scheduled for broadcasting and got very lucky - turned on the tv, saw Jarrett, immediately stopped the music I was listening to and was stuck in front of the TV for the next hour, I think.

It'll be available on DVD in the States tomorrow:

Keith JarrettKeith Jarrett: The Art of Improvisation - DVD (Euroarts/Naxos) May 17

— documentary celebrating his 60th birthday

— includes interviews with Jarrett and also with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette

— 85 minutes; subtitles - English, German, French, Italian, Spanish

Edited by alankin