record auction

I've popped into Jerry's whenever I get to Pitt-- a few times a year at least-- and I like the place -- how could one not. But I'm disappointed with them going the auction route. What's the point of having an open shop if you want to play EBAY in it? If they want a certain price for it, they should price it accordingly and give their customers a chance to buy it straight-up.

I do recognize that they want to get the most $$$ that they can, and so they go the auction route. That's a short-term solution. I believe they actually hurt their long term prospects. You want to encourage people to come into the shop. If customers figure that "all the good stuff" is held back, they will not bother to come in. Customers in an open shop tend to buy more as a result of browsing around, looking at the records, something new catching their attention, etc. This also helps customers develop new interests, with the result that they add new things to their "looking to buy" list. This is how you build a clientle, and, incidentally, it helps jazz as a whole in the long run, because people are exposed to a wider range of artists. The auction route favors very narrow buying habits and a tendency to focus on the "high spots." This has less to do with jazz as an art form to explore, and more to do with jazz records as a "collectible."

BTW, the guys at Jerry's are a nice bunch. I'm glad the store is still there, which I know is not an easy accomplishment. But I just think this auction thing is misguided.

Leeway,

They have been doing auctions since I went to school at Carnegie Mellon, back in the late 80's - early 90's. First it was a mailing list, then they switched over to ebay. I like them as well, and I don't think this route hurts them at all. Jerry always treats his customers right, and keeps a well organized stock. Like any used record store, he is as good as what he has coming in from sellers. The auctions keep the money coming in == nothing wrong with that.

Leeway,

They have been doing auctions since I went to school at Carnegie Mellon, back in the late 80's - early 90's. First it was a mailing list, then they switched over to ebay. I like them as well, and I don't think this route hurts them at all. Jerry always treats his customers right, and keeps a well organized stock. Like any used record store, he is as good as what he has coming in from sellers. The auctions keep the money coming in == nothing wrong with that.

I haven't seen how this chap runs his store, but I can really attest to the value of maintaining a store well and keeping sellers coming back. Buyers will follow...

Yes, I know that the auction thing is not new. I have to disagree with you though. I do think it hurts them as far as developing and expanding walk-in business and developing this and the next generation of music fans--although I'll accept the fact that since they are still there, they must not agree B-) . And I'm glad they are still there, for sure.

When I go to Jerry's, I really don't expect to find any Blue Notes, Impulses!, etc, as I know they have been skimmed off for the auctions. I look for the less obvious things, things that don't have EBAY appeal. I'm talking jazz here, not rock or 45s, which Jerry has a lot of and might be a big part of their business. I get the sense that I'm looking among the leftovers, and that's kind of a disincentive. I have found much more buyable material in much smaller stores in other towns, where the owners keep their stock.

I also wonder-- if they didn't use the auction route, would the material sell in-shop? I really think it would. At their price. And with a more positive result for the shop as a place where buyers, collectors, and fans can have a share of the action. Sometimes I think the whole EBAY thing is a sort of mania, like Dutch tulip collecting, that becomes an end in itself and not the means to an end.

I'm sure you have been to Princeton Record Exchange. Everything (ASAIK) goes into the racks, where a very brisk business is done. They have a huge and loyal clientle from all over the country (and beyond I believe). No EBAY involved. I have a sense of excitment when I go there. I think Jerry's has eliminated that sense by "cherry-picking" its own stock.

I think what you are talking about is more of the awareness of the collectors and the guys who are behind the counter. Having been on the "other side," as a buyer for a used book/record store, I quickly became aware of most of the artists and labels, and could distinguish an auctionable item and one that could go out in the bins. I'm sure the guys at Jerry's know exactly what is coming in, and how to sell them. And there are collectors who seem to know when to come in -- several times a week, hit the bins and leave. It's not like 10 or 15 years ago when you can go to a store and explore, and hope to find something rare or unusual. In Jerry's case the store is so big it is too easy to hide auction lps somewhere and buy it later on. They are all about turning it over, and fast. I agree that smaller stores are where one can find something -- I was up at Jerry's in late August, and didn't find a thing that interested me. But they are definitely not hurting. What hurts is our chances of buying something cool in the bins, and that's just a change in how records are being sold.