Women!

jazzbo

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, I got JimR to listen to another Joyce cd or two; he had heard one that didn't impress, and then heard those that DID, so he was on the hunt!  Yes, she is the Joyce from Brazil.

Angela Strehli I used to see at least once a month for a few years here in Austin; she had the best darned band around with George Barns and Sara Brown and Denny Freeman and sometimes Derek O'Brien.  I used to go dancing with a couple of gals I worked with and be right up by the stage.  I was drumming in a few blues-rock bands then, and seeing her band over and over was like a master's course!

Thanks.The reason I was so curious was that earlier this year I purchased the Claus Ogerman box set(4 cds)and super from beginning to end but one of the songs that plays in my head a lot is the one by Joyce.It came off a session that featured Michael Brecker and Joe Farrell among others.I was dismayed to learn that Sony in it's infinite wisdom chose not to release the session because if the one cut that made it onto the Ogerman box was any indicator it was really good. I would be interested in any recommendations you might have for Joyce. Changing the subject do you have any good pics of Lou Ann Barton?

Chris A. I would like to thank you for sharing your many pictures with the rest of us. Do you have a book with all those pictures in it . I think there are probably some great stories attached to those pictures. If you don't have you considered it.At any rate thank you.

Edited by chris olivarez

Chris A. I would like to thank you for sharing your many pictures with the rest of us. Do you have a book with all those pictures in it . I think there are probably some great stories attached to those pictures. If you don't have you considered it.At any rate thank you.

Thanks, Chrris. No, they are not from a book--I have boxes full of photos. If this thread wasn't limited to women, I'd be able to post some nice early Louis photos. I y'all want, I'll be glad to continue--and stick to the rarely-if-ever seen.

Here's a 1961 photo I took at Rudy Van Gelder's studio. An Elmer Snowden session that resulted in a Prestige album called "Uptown and Lowdown." (L to R: Elmer, Abe Bolar, Rudy Powell, and Floyd Casey). Cliff Jackson and trumpeter Ed Allen were also on the date. BTW As usual, my focus was off.

Thanks, Chrris. No, they are not from a book--I have boxes full of photos. If this thread wasn't limited to women, I'd be able to post some nice early Louis photos. I y'all want, I'll be glad to continue--and stick to the rarely-if-ever seen.

Here's a 1961 photo I took at Rudy Van Gelder's studio. An Elmer Snowden session that resulted in a Prestige album called "Uptown and Lowdown." (L to R: Elmer, Abe Bolar, Rudy Powell, and Floyd Casey). Cliff Jackson and trumpeter Ed Allen were also on the date. BTW As usual, my focus was off.

Once again thank you Chris. All the photos men and women seem like they would make the centerpiece for a great book but I didn't know if you had already done that or if it was feasible or if you were interested in doing such a thing but I do appreciate the pictures.Keep them coming. :D

Lil Armstrong looks like she is testifying, but she is talking to Franz Jackson during a break at our Sept. 7, 1961 session (at "The Birdhouse," a Chicago club). That's Darnell Howard behind her and--on the left, Pops Foster in conversation withPreston Jackson. In the background we see drummer Booker Washington and Jimmy Archey.

PD, I don't recognize the washboard player. Neva was a very pleasant person, but I wasn't too impressed with her singing.

Here's a detail from cast photo for the 1928 Drury Lane Theatre's London production of "Show Boat." That's Paul Robeson and Alberta Hunter, and chorus girl Mabel Mercer is somewhere in the crowd (out of frame here)--as is (Sir) Cedric Hardwicke. The entire photo is too wide to post in viewable form, but I'll try to add it in a greatly reduced version.

Edited by Christiern

Chris.. it's Beryl Bryden, who I thought you might have encountered in your " Trad " days.. actually for those wondering, the traditional Jazz that chris was invoved in, wasn't technically european Traditional Jazz. Trad to that had something of a stigma like Smooth Jazz has today, or at least to most board members.

Beryl died fairly recently.

Neva wasn't that great but I was looking for images of British or british connected jazz women

Shuold put Ottlie up there.