Quality turntables

DrJ

This spring I will have had my tube amp and DAC and Zingali speakers for a year. I've been amazed at how much I've enjoyed getting back into vinyl with the great phono stage on this amp (Audio Note Meishu phono). All this has been with a rather workmanlike Technics SL1200MK2 turntable/Ortofon cartridge, with the stock built in cheap RCA connector plugs.

I'm starting to look ahead at a serious upgrade to the turntable, currently the "weakest link" in my audio chain.

I've heard about the usual suspects - Linn Sondek LP12, various Thorens models. But I really don't know the ins and outs of higher end turntables well and why these are so sought after (other than they probably sound good!).

Who can help me get started with shopping? What features should I look for? Which models are too good NOT to listen to when shopping? What about cartridges? Any recommended tweaks?

And what should I expect to pay for a high quality set-up that will match the quality of the rest of the rig?

Just FYI I have a very nice Mapleshade Samson rack..the turntable is in a listening room with a VERY stable flooring (almost no vibration) out of the way so little to no foot traffic, and the Samson is like a rock...so vibration is a very small concern.

Edited by DrJ

For what is's worth, I've had a Linn for 22 years and not a problem.

Besides they made some nice recordings with Tommy Smith like "Bluesmith"

Tommy Smith : Tenor saxophone,

soprano saxophone

John Scofield : electric guitar

James Genus : acoustic bass

Clarence Penn: drums

I'd guess about $1500-2000, maybe a bit more, could get you something real nice to match your system. Since you still play a lot of cd's, going all out may not look that good to you.

Does your phono stage do low output moving coils? It should say something about cartridge output. You will have to choose between moving magnet and moving coil cartridge.

I've had an LP12 for years also. Tricked out new ones are way above 2K, so I think their value per dollar is not that great in todays market.

You'll have to choose between suspended and non-suspended table. I want to get a nice non-suspended table next. I beleive many available tables are non-suspended these days. Teres comes to mind whenever I lust after a new tt.

Edited by wolff

Thanks for the comments and suggestions so far, guys.

Wolff, I haven't even gone to the dealers locally yet - wanted to get some thoughts first. I will most likely try to work with the same dealer that sold me my amp/DAC/speaker gear, he was a pleasure to work with and so far has yet to steer me wrong. He does servicing which I personally would find useful - timewise, it's unlikely I'll be able to do much restoration or adjustment work on a used turntable if it were required.

I paid a bit more for my set up as it stands than I would have going strictly Internet, but it's been well worth it - for peace of mind and also the education and attention the dealer provided (that in my book is worth a little money - seems only fair). For example, I had a bad tube (fluke thing) early on that he replaced no charge/no questions asked.

So I'll probably go the same route for the turntable. He gets good used gear of all types in regularly, so used or new will be an option. I will do some comparison listening, as much as possible. Nice thing is he has the Audio Note and Zingali set ups in his showroom so it will be very much like my set up without me necessarily having to haul everything home for demos (probably will try and do that when I have it down to the 1 or 2 finalists).

Anyway, for now, please keep the ideas coming by all means! I'm listening...

Edited by DrJ

Knowing you, as little as I do, I can picture you hearing a great but expensive table and wanting it. With your stereo and enjoyment/appreciation of good sound I can see you going for one of the bigger boys at around $4-5K.

When I hear a truly superior tt, it takes few weeks for mine to start sounding good again. :D

Audio Note makes a couple suspended tables from about $1000 and up depending on arm/cartridge.

I'm sure my local contact will want me to hear Audio Note.

I have to recheck my Meishu but I believe it supports only the moving magnet type of cartridge...not sure about that though, I need to check it out. Though a pricey amp it is after all still pretty much "higher end entry level" as far as Audio Note is concerned, so it may not support the moving coil type.

You MAY be right about the more expensive tables being hard to pass on...it is certainly a shame to have an item in the set up that is far below the level of the rest.

But honestly I'm hoping to pay much less than $4000. I will see if I can hear an appreciable difference BEFORE looking at the price tag...and then if my ears go for the more expensive stuff, decide if the difference is really worth the extra $3000!!! :huh::wacko:

Edited by DrJ

I've had the British-made Revolver for 15 years now and I still love it.

REVOLVER

mmf%202.jpg

A friend had a Rega Planar 3 at that time and he thought mine sounded warmer, though I've heard some of the new Regas and they are wonderful. The P7 is wonderful to look at as well.

P7%20web.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all for the input and suggestions, sorry I'm so late in responding.

Well, after much deliberation and shopping and listening, I went for:

Nottingham Spacedeck

Sumiko Blackbird MC cartridge

This pairing is a match made in heaven. The Spacedeck has incredible mass and that transmits weight and depth to everything. The Blackbird has clarity and transparency and just a bit of brightness at the edge that offsets what I think would otherwise be a tendency for the Spacedeck to darken the sound a tad.

The pairing also sounds fantastic with my Audio Note Meishu single-ended triode tube amp (the dealer carries Audio Note gear and my Zingali .2s speakers, so I got to listen to it on basically the same system I have at home). I absolutely LOVE the Spacececk - built like a tank and the model of simplicity...no knobs even, just give the platter a spin to get it up to speed and manually stop it as well.

Both are on order and hopefully here within the week!

Unlike many with higher end systems, I am just not a tweaker. So with this, I'm hopefully done with my audio hardware for a long, long, long time.

Nottingham Spacedeck

Unlike many with higher end systems, I am just not a tweaker. So with this, I'm hopefully done with my audio hardware for a long, long, long time.

As long as you keep the young one (or any small animals in the house) away from it. ;)

Congrats!

I hear you Quincy.

Of all TTs I've seen though the Spacedeck seems likely to be relatively kid-proof. It is built like a tank. More importantly, I also have a dedicated listening room. Our little guy is really good anyway; typically he won't touch stuff if we tell him no (well, not TOO much anyway!), and he doesn't go in there without me in tow.

We do some father/son listening in there every once in a while - but at 20 months it only lasts about 5 minutes before he's bored and ready to move on. To keep his attention any longer I'd have to seek out the 180 g virgin vinyl pressings of all the Wiggles' recordings. :blink::g

Edited by DrJ

• 2 weeks later...

Just took the plunge again. Bought a Thorens TD 850 off Audiogon at a very nice price. Goodbye Rega P3 (off to the youngest son who appreciates good music). Just set up the Thorens-definitely an upgrade. Do love vinyl, even if it's slated for the death list in 2009. Damn Exxon.

Thanks to all for the input and suggestions, sorry I'm so late in responding.

Well, after much deliberation and shopping and listening, I went for:

Nottingham Spacedeck

Sumiko Blackbird MC cartridge

This pairing is a match made in heaven. The Spacedeck has incredible mass and that transmits weight and depth to everything. The Blackbird has clarity and transparency and just a bit of brightness at the edge that offsets what I think would otherwise be a tendency for the Spacedeck to darken the sound a tad.

The pairing also sounds fantastic with my Audio Note Meishu single-ended triode tube amp (the dealer carries Audio Note gear and my Zingali .2s speakers, so I got to listen to it on basically the same system I have at home). I absolutely LOVE the Spacececk - built like a tank and the model of simplicity...no knobs even, just give the platter a spin to get it up to speed and manually stop it as well.

Both are on order and hopefully here within the week!

I've had my eyes on one of these for a long time now, but unfortunately with a decent arm and cartridge it is (still) beyond my financial capabilities.

I've had a chance to check this TT out and I have to admit that the absolute rave reviews this one got in most German magazines (the ones that know what they are talking about) were more than justified.

Great equipment. I love the simplicity of it.

As far as I understand, the motor is basically constantly running, right?

• 4 weeks later...

Jeez, sorry for the delay in replying, I've been busy as I guess you can tell...yes, it is a constantly running motor. I've had the table now for about 2 weeks and it's amazing. Highly, highly recommended.