latin music then and now

baryshnikov

:D Although iam a committed Cal Tjader fan, after hearing Tokyo Blues with that kicking big band on Several shades of Jade, who wouldent be, i also love The Alegre All Stars, their wild. The trumpet solo on Tema Alegre by Puchi Bulong is absolutely the end? Ive just been put onto this site, and it will be nice to converse on musical matters, although im not a musician, maybe in a previous life?, i still spread the word, and believe me lots of people are still waking up to my music cds, they love them. paul

^_^ Thanks for thr reply, its eight oclock here, just been listening to Francy boland Big Band re-issues, great, especially All Smiles with Dave Pike, great, new in uk on cd. I met Mongo when he appeared at Dingwalls years ago, he was so amazed at the response he got in uk. Thought we would all be wearing cords and goatees? and Poncho Sanchez played Cals Pals for me when he played here long time back. was agreat night.

CAL!

I just got "Latin Kick" in the mail today. I bought it on Ebay, but haven't had time to drop the needle on it. On red vinyl too!

The first Tjader LP I had was "Whiffenpoof Song" on Verve. Sometime over the past 20 years, it disappeared. I have seen copies here and there, but they are so pricey!

:D Great lp as they all are. Try and get the lp Cal did with Mary stallings, really sultry version of Whydont you do right by me/ Tjader is big in uk, as most people start dancing to Shoshana where they become aware of the man, and then they discover all the other great stuff he and other musicians have made. Are you familiar with the Janet Lawson Quintet, really top notch fusion with superb vocals, So High being the most famous track shes done, rsvp ,paul

Try and get the lp Cal did with Mary stallings, really sultry version of Whydont you do right by me.

This is announced for CD reissue any day now - one of the few items still missing in my Tjader collection. It was on OJC LP and should be available used somewhere, methinks, if you prefer that.