Musician vent. Everyone profits but us.

Soul Stream

Personally, I see a lot of youger people are into that's "stripped down and folksy," at least as perceived by them. Stuff with just guitar and drums....guitar only and vocals. A lot of this stuff is "faux folk" and blues....but it sends me the signal they yearn for something they're not getting from the mass media version of entertainment.

I like going to live shows; and I certainly like watching Organissimo play live. At the same time, I think we live in a busy workworld, and most people just don't have the time to go out and do things. That's why they like everything quick and compartmentalized.

Maybe once the babyboomers all retire and have time to burn...

Hope is around the corner!

:rsmile:

I'm not saying that I like American Idol or that it is proof that big bands are coming back. But at least on some level it shows that maybe "the industry" doesn't necessarily know what people really want. Yes, they know what 13 yr old girls want. But they don't seem to realize that the market IS 13 yr old girls because that is what they are catering to and there's a market out there that is not really being served or from their perpective, tapped into.

God, if we could only all go on strike for about a year and put everything back in perspective.

Nice sentiment, but about 20 years too late, unfortunately.

Face it - we're analog dinosaurs in a digital era. We and what we offer are no longer interesting, much less relevant, to the lifestyles and mindsets of the vast majority of the world of today and the forseeable future. The days of people being entertained by real people doing things that they might admire and/or aspire to are over. Machines and ready-made servings of the past do that now, when it's even wanted. More often than not, though, what's wanted is something, anything, that they can either laugh at and feel superior to or at some level identify with as something they themselves could do w/o too much effort. The trend has been in place for quite a while, but I fear that the point of no return has long been passed.

Extintion being the evolutionary process that it is, this ain't gonna happen all at once, nor all over, but the trend is obvious. We're dead, finished, obsolete, a relic of a culture and a mindset of a day gone by. Stay in the game, by all means, it's who we are and what we do, and Goddammit, we're GOOD at it, but realize how we fit into the overall picture.

Hate to be such a drag, but that's the way I see it.

Unfortunately, I gotta agree with Jim on this viewpoint ( and the later post about "Big Bands coming Back" ..hahaha )

All I can say is, I'm glad I'm *retired *and jazz has now become a great hobby ..I finally get to enjoy all those years cranking shit out for insensitive suits to sell widgets and such ..I really feel sorry for all artists trying to make an actual living these days, because in essence, all of Jims' points are dead on. Live music of most styles have become an anachronism ( the possible holdout being C&W which still seems to be basically a "live" meduim )

I consider my big band "retirement project" my "boat " ( y'now ..the hole in the water you pour money into ..except in my case, its the roomful of noisemakers that you throw money at to get blown away )

I do despair for the younger guys like Jim who are still attempting to carry the torch in a very strong headwind ..

btw: Jim ..Durick is a M*************er!!!

Yeah...it's over. There's a guy on my daygig that DJs. He makes several hundred per gig and up - what musicians should be getting.

When audiences prefer a guy playing records to live bands it's all over.... and it aint coming back. There's no reason for it to come back.

I think those of us over 40 or 50 at least were able to get a taste of what it was like when gigs were in abundance.

Yeah...it's over. There's a guy on my daygig that DJs. He makes several hundred per gig and up - what musicians should be getting.

When audiences prefer a guy playing records to live bands it's all over.... and it aint coming back. There's no reason for it to come back.

I think those of us over 40 or 50 at least were able to get a taste of what it was like when gigs were in abundance.

I used to DJ when I was a kid and also got started helping another DJ. I always knew I could make more as a DJ than a musician, no contest. Nothing's changed, but I'd still rather play and make 1/4 less.

If you want to make MONEY, music ain't were it's at for the majority of us. We knew that going in. But COME ON,...I ain't askin' for much...just a little bit o' justice for the working man.

DJs weren't on the horizon when I started doing gigs - at least not outside the context of discotheques. Once they started doing club dates/casuals the handwriting was on the wall. Audiences dug it - they didn't have to complain that the band did a song "different" from the record.

I'm not really on the inside so you guys would know better than me. It's just such a shame it's hard to accept.

I'm an optimist to a fault, I guess.

In the early '90s I even predicted a comeback for PETER FRAMPTON!!

(I was actually half right, it was attempted, but it failed miserably!)