Don Rendell/ Ian CARR

baryshnikov

:rolleyes: jUST LISTENING TO dUSK fIRE, WHAT A SUPERB LP, REALLY HAUNTING, ANYONE NOT AWARE OF THIS SHOULD PICK IT ON CD, DOUBLE CD WITH SHADES oF bLUE, THE BEST RELEASE LAST YEAR IN MY OPINION, tANSAM fU REALLY KICKS IN A KIND OF ESOTERIC WAY? EBAY AT MOMENT GOING FOR £350, REALLY DONT MISS THIS ONE, PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT LP IN bRITISH MODERN JAZZ, IMO?

• 1 year later...

She was Carr's bird, back then, I think (the liners mention it). Plenty of period charm... yet still great music. And I'd not dare using that word, "bird", weren't it for the period charm... :D

My understanding (and I hope I'm correct) is that the cover on 'Shades of Blue' is of Ian Carr's late wife, who died very young and only a year or so after this session (there's details of this in the notes to the CD). What a shame..

Totally agree with you Ubu that these Rendell/Carr reissues are fantastic - good value, superb music and fine remastered sound quality.

The one session that seems to get 'dissed' quite a bit (usually because Guy Warren of Ghana is on half of the tracks) is 'Change Is' and in many ways I think of this one as their finest hour, going out at a peak (although Ian Carr has expressed quite a bit of disappointment in print with this session in the 'Music Outside' book, well worth a read).

The original Lansdowne LPs are hard to find but I have a couple of them - 'Change Is' and 'Live'. Although the CDs are excellent, there's still a certain magic about the original LP sound.

Guest akanalog

"change is" gets dissed? i like it. did people not like the use of harpsichord too?

i am always curious how you british dudes look at these british drummers since i have no background besides my own listening.

john marshall, john webb, tony levin, clive thacker, trevor tomkins, bryan spring, roger sellers (or is sutton)....all have good things to offer, in my opinion.

Guest akanalog

i guess what i am asking is-who was the man, to you guys?

i didn't even mention john stevens, but he is a bit more hit and miss to me, though still a great drummer.

his stuff with amalgam is awesome!

All of the drummers you mentioned have great reputations, although they are in general very much under-valued in their homeland. I'm a particular fan of John Marshall, who has also been doing great live performances in the past year or so (saw him with John Surman about a year ago). Phil Seamen of course has the 'legendary great' status amongst jazzers, although the general public remain ignorant of him.

All of the drummers you mentioned have great reputations, although they are in general very much under-valued in their homeland. I'm a particular fan of John Marshall, who has also been doing great live performances in the past year or so (saw him with John Surman about a year ago). Phil Seamen of course has the 'legendary great' status amongst jazzers, although the general public remain ignorant of him.

Don't forget Alan Jackson who played with everyone on the London jazz scene in the 1960s - John Surman, Mike Westbrook, Mike Osborne etc etc. He's not very well represented on record but you can hear him at his best on two Howard Riley CDs that were re-released on Sony about five years ago: 'The day will come' and ' and 'Angle'. Both are still available and are well worth buying.