Which is your favorite Bill Evans´ regular bassist

EKE BBB

Chuck Isreals has been a great contributor to jazz through education; I 'grew' quite a bit musically during my time in his jazz program in California.

Whether he was a better pairing with Bill Evans that Scott LaFaro or Eddie Gomez...? Perhaps I'm a bit biased.

I would go with Mark Johnson - but I'm biased due to having seen the wonderful Evans/Johnson/Labarbera lineup at Ronnie Scotts back in 1980 and having enjoyed a recent playing of the Mosaic set by this band. At times the interplay between Evans and Johnson (and Labarbera, for that matter) borders on the telepathic.

Marc Johnson is the one (even if Eddie Gomez would be my favorite bass player

of the lot).

Johnson really integrated the trio idea and moved way way high to reach the

the rarefied level of Evans and LaBarbera.

The final Bill Evans trio is the one that came closest - they even went further probaly

because they played longer and more often - to what was attained by the

Evans/LaFaro/Motian trio.

Some may say they don´t like LaFaro because he played "too many notes". Actually, when Chuck Israels came into the trio, Bill Evans had more room to play, specially in ballads, as we all can hear in "Moonbeams" (Riverside, 1962) , the first trio recording with Israels.

Notwithstanding, IMO LaFaro was a marvellous player who, in his short career, got a great development in the melodic possibilities of bass (as Jimmie Blanton did first)