Water Records

Soul Stream

Maybe this has been discussed....but will someone tell me the lowdown on Water Records? Is this Michael Cuscuna's doing? Who runs this label and how do they decide what to reissue? I LOVE this label...it has the guts to put out Say It Loud...and Who Knows What Tommorrow Brings and A Groovy Situation....

All with wonderful packaging and care. Reminds me of what BN and Mosaic used to be at their best. Adventursome with an attention to detail.

And I also have a question about it. On my Donaldson CD, the name "EMI" appears larger than the name "Water," and there's a line in there about the CD being "manufactured by EMI..." Something similar with a couple recent "Wounded Bird" releases - "Sony" appears in bigger letters than ""Wounded Bird," and there's a similar "manufactured" line. What exactly IS licensing????

This has been discussed before (at least twice - maybe more since memory fails old farts) but one of the people running Water/4 Beards/etc is Patrick Roques. For the "vague", Patrick is the guy doing the Reid Miles inspired covers for a bunch of the Blue Note Conns.

EMI's name is on the discs to show origin (no it's not a boot) and a requirement of the lease. In the last 25 years it has also become SOP for the master owner to control manufacturing of licensed masters. Mosaic BN reissues are pressed by EMI and the Universals by Universal. This is to insure an accurate count of units manufactured.

Everyone should relax and enjoy what they will. :)