Ellington's Reprise Recordings

bebopbob

the digipacs are okay, not great. The ones I mean came in jewel cases. Included were Bryant, Crawford, Fathead, Stitt, Blue Lateef, Tristano, but also non-Atlantic titles like the Apogee album w/ Christlieb and Marsh and Warm Moods by Webster.

OK, now I'm really confused. The only EU reissues I'm aware of are from what's called the "Warner Jazz Masters Series". I don't know if they're digipacks, but from the advertisements I've seen in Jazz Review (UK magazine), these reissues all have a vertical black spine on the front with 'Atlantic Masters' written on the spine. Are these the same ones ones reissued in Germany?

I'm really interested in picking up Blue Lateef and some others, but the number of reissues of these, including Rhino, Collectables etc. is confusing.

the digipacs are okay, not great. The ones I mean came in jewel cases. Included were Bryant, Crawford, Fathead, Stitt, Blue Lateef, Tristano, but also non-Atlantic titles like the Apogee album w/ Christlieb and Marsh and Warm Moods by Webster.

OK, now I'm really confused. The only EU reissues I'm aware of are from what's called the "Warner Jazz Masters Series". I don't know if they're digipacks, but from the advertisements I've seen in Jazz Review (UK magazine), these reissues all have a vertical black spine on the front with 'Atlantic Masters' written on the spine. Are these the same ones ones reissued in Germany?

I'm really interested in picking up Blue Lateef and some others, but the number of reissues of these, including Rhino, Collectables etc. is confusing.

it IS confusing. The ones with the black spine come in both digipac and jewel case. Same with the ones with the red spine and the "interesting" peach/red design in the "Atlantic Original Sound" series. These used to be digipacs, but now also jewel cases have surfaced in my collection. There was at least one batch of Atlantic material on the Rhino/Warner label that came in clear jewel cases and had a black "spine" just like you described, but it is part of the tray card and can be seen through the clear jewel case inlay. The actual spine is very classy, without the usual shouting bold fonts. If you go to the site linked above and click reissues, you can find these under the 27 10 2003 release date. Although these were released under Rhino, they were not available in the US AFAIK. At least I remember US members ordering the Fathead from EU stores. Whether there were any other batches is a mystery to me as I cannot judge from the information given either. I wonder how many different series there are really.

Edited by couw

• 3 weeks later...

Ellington's "Afro-Bossa" and "Music From Mary Poppins" is due out today on Collectables.

Will never forgive myself for not picking up this material when it came out on the five CD set from Mosaic. I knew about Mosaic in 1999 but was "turned off" with the idea of Ellington playing Mary Poppins, Hello Dolly and all those pop tunes from the 1960s.

In the past couple of years I've picked up the "Concert in the Virgin Islands/Afro Bossa" CD issued in England as well as the "Reflections of the Big Band Era" CD and have been diggin' this era of Ellington ever since.

Upcoming mid sixties Ellington Reprise reissues on Collectables nclude:

March 29th:

- Symphonic Ellington

- Ellington 65

- Ellington 66

April 12th:

- Concert in the Virgin Islands

- The Great Paris Concert

Love you madly, Duke

:):)

Edited by bebopbob

Couw, I actually think that there are in fact 2 seperate series, Ubu and I tried to sort this out on a thread awhile back- the digis and the jewel case / rhino/Dorn issues- at least several releases have appeared in both formats- I know I have seen Lateefs Blue and a Bill Evans in both versions. No idea if there is a coherant or semi coherant reason, my guess is that local territories of WEA or whatever they call themselves these days. in Europe are operating completely independantly of each other.A complete travesty. :tdown