Ogun Records

blake

Guest akanalog

just mentioned in the elton dean thread-the soft head album "rogue element" on ogun is pretty nice.

i didn't realize ogun really dealt in this kind of electric fusion jazz, but despite the glowing thom jurek review, this is one to check out.

dean, hopper, alan gowen and david sheen-live from 1978....

• 1 year later...

Just bought my first ogun.

Louis Moholo's Viva-La-Black Ogun OGCD 006 Freedom tour: live in South Afrika 1993 http://www.shef.ac.uk/misc/rec/ps/efi/labe...n/ogunc006.html

Not sure what I think but it has a really nice vibe. Any views on this?

My eyes nearly popped outa my head when I saw this sitting in a dollar bin at Half Price Books! I agree with some of the posts above that this is a bit unfocused with so-so sound. It is hardly unlistenable though, and I particularly like some of the ensemble passages. Glad to have it, since the only other Moholo lead date I own is 'Tern' with Stabbins and Tippin. Now that's a great date and thankfully more widely available due to the UMS issues, then the Ogun dates.

It's also fun to hear Pule Pheto play some completely unhinged piano!

Agree that Tern is a great date - Larry Stabbins is completely un(der)-heralded, and is great IMHO.

Don't know if people are aware, but Evan Parker is preparing another 'Foxes Fox' (EP, Louis, John Edwards, Steve Beresford) album for release. It's a fantastic band, and - having been at the gig where it was recorded - it's some fantastic music...Depending on what portions they choose to release, Kenny Wheeler might be on it - he sat in for one set.

Edited by Red

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Thanks to a friend with a fantastic vinyl collection, I've been immersing myself in releases by Ogun Records. What a label! The premise being a collective of South African jazz musicians meet the British/European avant-garde in London during the 70s.

Louis Moholo

Johnny Dyani

Evan Parker

John Stevens

Elton Dean

Mongezi Feza

Lol Coxhill

Keith Tippett

Dudu Pukwana ...to name just a few of the contributors.

Among my favorites so far are Evan Parker/John Stevens The Longest Night Vol. 1 & 2, The Blue Notes Blue Notes for Mongezi and Blues Notes for Johnny, John Stevens Chemistry and Spirit's Rejoice by the Louis Moholo Octet which, frankly, is stunningly good.

Anyone else have any love for this label? Anyone else have an Ogun recommendation or an anecdote about what looks to be a very interesting history?

Anyone else want to see these titles released on CD?

Dear Blake

I see you posted this in 2005. I'm just writing a piece for Jazz UK magazine on Louis Moholo-Moholo, which will be followed by a longer article in Jazzwise. As I'm sure you know by now Hazel Miller, Harry's wife continues to run Ogun and release CD's on the label. I've had the pleasure of doing features on Mike Osborne and The Blue Notes to coincide with reissues of Osborne's 'All Night Long' and the four CD Blue Notes set. Louis' latest CD (2009) 'An Open Letter To My Wife Mtumi' is also well worth a purchase, as is 'Viva La Black Live At Ruvo'. Louis turned 70 in march and we got to celebrate with him in Turin, where he, Keith Tippett and Julie Tippetts performed with the Minafric Orchestra. Since then, Louis has played in London at Cafe Oto with Sonny Simmons and is back in London in November for the London Jazz Festival.

Given your (excellent) taste, you would love both Cafe Oto and the Vortex in London's Dalston. They're about 200 yeard apart. Obviously, most of the people in your list are now dead. Keith rarely plays in the UK, though he lives here. But Evan Parker plays regularly at the Vortex. There are also a lot of great younger players on the scene now. Check out Decoy - an improvising organ trio with Alexander Hawkins (org), John Edwards (bass) and Steve Noble (drums). They are supposed to be putting out a cD they recorded at Cafe Oto with the brilliant Joe McPhee. I was there - it was mind-blowing.

Keep the faith

Duncan Alistair Heining