San Diego Jazz

catesta

The best place for CDs by a mile is Lou's Records, a pleasant drive up the coast on 101 (uhhh... its on the left as you go north - keep your eyes open...). For vinyl, it's probably worth calling in Off The Record (3849 Fifth Avenue). OTR is in Hillcrest. While there you can also check out Record City (3757 6th Avenue), call in to two or three decent used book stores, and take something to eat at the highly recommendable City Deli (corner of 6th and University). There is also a Tower near the Sports Arena (uhhh.... unless it closed recently...). I never figured out the live music scene, but I never fail to visit these locations. Prices at Lou's are great too so be sure to take your wallet!

Chris, I can second the Lou's recommendation. The used store is only so-so, but the new store has a great selection of jazz. They used to have a ton of imports (many JRVGs) but the selection has dwindled recently. I'll actually be at Lou's (hopefully) on Saturday as my parents live nearby. When are you in town?

Ray

• 2 weeks later...