Sundazed

Tony Pusey

Thanks Africa.

Yes apparently Skippy attacked the other members of the Grape with a fire axe in the studio, jumped on his bike and drove off to record Oar.

The story I've heard is that he was into some dark stuff with this girlfriend he had. He proceeded to flip out and try to attack drummer Don Stevenson with a fire axe. I thought they then took him away to Bellvue, where he wrote some of the songs for Oar, and upon his release six months or so later, rode to Nashville and recorded Oar.

I've been a big Syd Barrett fan forever and Spence is the American (actually Canadian) version. It's really sad, but I've enjoyed their music.

Here's an interesting picture of Skip performing (post-Oar). I've never seen pictures of him playing after the breakdown. My guess is that this is from the early 70's around the time of the Grape's 20 Granite Creek Album. I think the other guy in the picture is the fellow who was brought in the band to help keep Skippy in line.

Africa, you could be right about the chronolgy...I heard that his then girlfriend was a witch hence the dark stuff to which you allude. I have heard that the guy who was brought in to keep Skip in line at the time of 20 Granite Creek was his dealer, and it was thus best to have him on hand.

In a recent Mojo about psychedelia Robert Plant recalls meeting Skip once and that he was a real sweet guy despite his health problems. Also interesting to see that Oar has now been elevated to the pantheon of the greatest psych albums ever! (and good to see that Loves Forever Changes is listed as number two after Electric Ladyland, I would have put it at number one!)

Thanks for the info, Tony!

I had no idea about the 20 Granite Creek guy. Now that's wild!

Yeah, I hard the girlfriend was a witch and that the combo of what she was doing and the heavy drugs were Skippy's undoing. It's such a shame. He seemed to be a little looney to start with, but...

I agree about Forever Changes; as much as I love Hendrix. I love that album.

Robert Plant is an interesting guy. You'd never think he'd be a fan of Moby Grape. I was also blown away when I read an article and he gushed about his love for the Incredible String Band, and the influence they had on Zep's acoustic stuff. I love the early ISB albums myself.

And Plant said that Kaleidoscope was his ideal band many moons ago in a Zigzag article! Loved all the belly dancers and flamenco dancers...Now how would Dazed and Confused come across with several shimmering dusky beauties rolling their midrifts? Might have even made me a fan (or perhaps not...)

And Plant said that Kaleidoscope was his ideal band many moons ago in a Zigzag article! Loved all the belly dancers and flamenco dancers...Now how would Dazed and Confused come across with several shimmering dusky beauties rolling their midrifts? Might have even made me a fan (or perhaps not...)

Wow! He does have good taste. :tup

I dig the Kaleidoscope also!

I'd see a band with belly dancers, anytime. :g

In 2 weeks I am off to Morocco, so I expect I will see a band with bellydancers! :D Aint life grand?

Seriously Africa if you like Kaleidoscope perhaps you should check out the catalogue of the Turkish label Kalan ( they are on the web) who have an embarassment of riches, both traditional and Turkish fusion, I picked up about a dozen albums around new year and I shall soon go back for more.

Taxim!

In 2 weeks I am off to Morocco, so I expect I will see a band with bellydancers! :D Aint life grand?

Seriously Africa if you like Kaleidoscope perhaps you should check out the catalogue of the Turkish label Kalan ( they are on the web) who have an embarassment of riches, both traditional and Turkish fusion, I picked up about a dozen albums around new year and I shall soon go back for more.

Taxim!

Thank you, Tony!

I will check it out. :tup

Have fun in Morocco! :g