My dirty little secret

Ok the Iron Maiden topic got me started.

I love this album:

5342451.jpg

Anyone heard it?

I know I risk being banished for such blashphemy :(

Nothing wrong with Thin Lizzy, and nothing wrong with that album.

'Jailbreak' and 'Live and Dangerous' were the only TL records I owned though.

Ok the Iron Maiden topic got me started.

I love this album:

5342451.jpg

Anyone heard it?

I know I risk being banished for such blashphemy  :(

Nothing wrong with Thin Lizzy, and nothing wrong with that album.

'Jailbreak' and 'Live and Dangerous' were the only TL records I owned though.

...back in the day when I freelanced for a regional rock promoter (before I knew what jazz was), I photographed Thin Lizzy. They were actually quite fun to watch!

Guest DizzySpells

Thin Lizzy was THE band I saw live everytime they came to town. That would add up to about 15 concerts. Phil Lynott was a guy with an attitude (unfortunately strung out on heroin half the time) and the band a working-band. Not much of a show, just good down-to-earth rock and roll (and Downey was the best drummer on the circuit at the time, bar none). Always a good time to be had, and that was the objective. Today I still pull out the live album once in a while - perhaps one of the best of its kind - especially to listen to Suicide, a powerhouse of a tune.

I saw them live the last time on the 28th of April 1983 (I still have the ticket in my photo album) and met Lynott after the gig. The guy was, sad to say, a total wreck. I was supposed to take him to an after-show gig, but he was unable to make it. I don't even think he knew what I was talking about. Slurred speech (already obvious during the show), unfocused, and he had the shakes, to boot.

The last tour (I think they disbanded the same year) was still a powerful one because of John Sykes who I think brought the edge back to the band, albeit (much) too late.

I still believe that Phil Lynott was one of the very few European rockers with enough credibility to fill the halls even when things were worst. I recall going there out of a weird sense of loyalty, although it wasn't really my kind of stuff anymore. But it was Lynott ... and I remember that at that last concert (I actually believe there were only about 5 to 10 shows after that one) I saw, I ran into many regulars who felt the same way. It felt like a goodbye of sorts. Corny, I know.

Guest DizzySpells

I hate to be a party pooper here, but Gary Moore I can't stand. He was good in Lizzy, but ...

Maybe I also just overdosed on his stuff, but whenever he pops up in any setting (almost), I run screaming from the room.

I dont even know what it is.

Excellent guitar playing by Gary Moore on this record Jazz Kat. You play guitar right? He's a guy worth checking out if you've not heard him.

Yep I play guitar. Thin Lizzy will be something I check out real later. :P I am being kept busy just trying to collect the whole Blue Note cataloge.