Jazz shops in Philadelphia?

sjarrell

Sound of Market (on 11th street btw Market and Chestnut) 3rd floor has best selection of jazz cds in the city. Tower Records on Broad and Chestnut has a pretty good Jazz section but they are pricey.

If you're looking for used lps go to the Philadelphia Record Exchange located on 5th Btw South & Bainbridge.

For Indie there are 2 or 3 stores on South btw 4th and 6(Space Boy, Repo records are both good albeit, a little small). A.K.A. music on 2nd street just north of Market is great. Good prices, WIDE selection, hot female staff B-) and they have a lot of used cds and some vinyl too.

Sound of Market (on 11th street btw Market and Chestnut) 3rd floor has best selection of jazz cds in the city. Tower Records on Broad and Chestnut has a pretty good Jazz section but they are pricey.

If you're looking for used lps go to the Philadelphia Record Exchange located on 5th Btw South & Bainbridge.

For Indie there are 2 or 3 stores on South btw 4th and 6(Space Boy, Repo records are both good albeit, a little small). A.K.A. music on 2nd street just north of Market is great. Good prices, WIDE selection, hot female staff B-) and they have a lot of used cds and some vinyl too.

Seconds on the Philadelphia Record Exchange tip.

If you are in Bucks, you might as well take an hour drive and head to the Princeton Record Exchange. They've got a really good dump ($5 and less used cds) where, with persistence, you can usually find something good.

The full-price section is cool and lots of vinyl.

--eric

Thanks for those recommendations. :tup I generally buy discs off the net, so it's nice to learn about some of these brick-and-mortar's in town.

In terms of Alan's phone number--I'm pretty sure it's available only to high-level jazz record company execs and members of the National Security Council. :rolleyes:

Thanks, guys! 

Is Alan in the phone book?  :w

But, unfortunately you won't be visiting 3rd Street Jazz, where Sun Ra used to sell his singles hot off the press. That was really the place to be and buy.

--eric

Tis true about 3rd Street Jazz. :(

FWIW....The owner of A.K.A. Music used to work at 3rd St. - he ran the rock section downstairs. Fun factoid - he named his daughter Strummer after Joe Strummer from the Clash.

How did your buying spree go?

Alas, it was spree-free. I suspected as much, but wanted to be prepared just incase. Travelling with a 2 year old leaves little opportunity to shop!

But he will get older, and my sister-in-law ain't leaving Bucks Co.

Thanks for the input, all! Sorry I did nothing with it :(

Alas, it was spree-free. I suspected as much, but wanted to be prepared just incase. Travelling with a 2 year old leaves little opportunity to shop!

Where (generally) in Bucks is she?

Where (generally) in Bucks is she?

She's in Churchville.