Charlie Parker Live Question

RDK

So I was talking to my father-in-law over the weekend about Charlie Parker and he claims to have run the sound board during a Bird performance at L.A. City College sometime in the early 50s. Not an outrageous claim since he was a student there and into audio recordings.

I'm hoping to pin down the date and perhaps even seek out a bootleg of the performance (if one even exists). I think I once saw a website that chronologically listed virtually all venues that Parker played in, but I can no longer locate it through any Google searches. If any artist has such detailed records, I figure it will probably be Bird.

Anyone have any idea of where I might find such info? All the official discographical sites I've found so far only list recording sessions, not actual live performances.

Edited by RDK

According to "Bird's Diary" by Ken Vail, Bird was on the West Coast June-August 1952, November '53 and late February early March '54. Vail doesn't list him as playing LA City College. However Vail doesn't account for every day.

Thanks, Joe, that's interesting. Sounds like a book I might need to check out.

I have no reason to doubt my pa-in-law, but it is fifty years later so he could be wrong as well about dates/venues/etc.

You never know, though - I thought this show might have ended up on one of those Philology releases... :lol: