Coleman Hawkins - Standards and Warhorses

Kevin Bresnahan

Not as memorable a date as it should have been given the chemistry of Hawk and Red. But the CD is long OOP and not likely to resurface. A collector's item.

Musically, it's overshadowed by Red Allen's date with Hawk on RCA from about the same time. Can't remember the LP title, but it was reissued on CD as "World on a String." That's the stuff.

I was in a store the other day and found this really old CD on the Jass label that I'd never heard of: Coleman Hawkins with Henry Allen, "Standards and Warhorses". Not a very appealing title. It looks like "Coleman Does Dixieland" but I wasn't able to play it. Any opinions?

Kevin

I've listened to it many years ago. If my memory serves me correctly, this session is definitely not the highlight of Hawk's career.

I agree -- not essential Hawk, not on the level of "World on a String."

That "Standard & Warhorses" record was reissued as one disc of a 2-CD set on the Jazz Classics label called The Tenor For All Seasons; the other disc has the live 1959 concert with Roy Eldridge that was originally released on Just You, Just Me (Stash).

-Jason

Edited by jasonguthartz

Stash booted this from 2 different Soundcraft sessions. Soundcraft was a tape manufacturer purchase by Columbia around 1970. They made at least 4 (that's what I have) tapes to give away with their blank tape reels.

One of the Allen/Hawk sessions is more "dixie" than the other, but I can't remember which. Probably the one with Earl Warren instead of Sol Yaged.

The other 2 Soundcraft sessions were led by Larry Clinton (with Charlie Shavers, Sam Taylor, Sol Yaged, Urbie Green, Buddy Weed, Barry Galbraith, Bob Haggart and Cozy Cole) and a very nice Elliot Lawrence date with Hal McKusick among the usual suspects.