The Rough Guide To Jazz

Hi.

I finally got around to buying the 3rd Edition of "The Rough Guide To Jazz" which I have always found one of the most useful books on jazz artists and albums.

The guide is written by Ian Carr, Digby Fairweather and Brian Priestley.

Anyone have the latest edition or familier with the book?

Che.

No. A guide to what? Playing jazz, or jazz history?

It is a well know book here in the UK.

There are 'Rough Guide' books on Opera, Reggae Music etc.

They are a single volume book on jazz artists and their music.

Che.

Hi.

I finally got around to buying the 3rd Edition of "The Rough Guide To Jazz" which I have always found one of the most useful books on jazz artists and albums.

Che.

Haven't seen this latest edition, but I thought the first was a good "advanced beginner's" sort of book. Has it changed much?

I like their guides to World Music.

Coincidentally just mentioned these guides on my morning show this morning, much to the same effect.

--eric

Hi.

Che.

Haven't seen this latest edition, but I thought the first was a good "advanced beginner's" sort of book. Has it changed much?

I like their guides to World Music.

Coincidentally just mentioned these guides on my morning show this morning, much to the same effect.

--eric

Just read your 'interests' man and they are impressive ;)

Yep it has changed, I guess like Jazz has.

It reflects a more 'post-modern' view of jazz and lists the artists and their albums that are happening now, rather than just a list of the jazz greats.

Che.

No, it's just that Jazz: The Rough Guide is thin, hasty, and breezy for casual readers in a hurry. Almost worth taking up space on your shelf. It's basically a reprint of Jazz: The Essential Companion by Carr, Fairweather, and Priestley, which was published Stateside by Prentice Hall in 1988 and in 1987 by Grafton Books (on ye olde sodde?). Still, no match for either the Penguin or All Music Guide reference tomes.

No, it's just that Jazz: The Rough Guide is thin, hasty, and breezy for casual readers in a hurry. Almost worth taking up space on your shelf. It's basically a reprint of Jazz: The Essential Companion by Carr, Fairweather, and Priestley, which was published Stateside by Prentice Hall in 1988 and in 1987 by Grafton Books (on ye olde sodde?). Still, no match for either the Penguin or All Music Guide reference tomes.

Good post.

I enjoy the 'Rough Guide' and the latest edition is bigger than ever. One of the things I like about it, is the way it picks out some of the albums of the artists it mentions. Makes it easier for me to begin the process of finding out about the music of the artists.

Che.