Paul Whiteman personnel in the 20's

During a break between Easter gig services, we were discussing music from the 20's. The conversation came around to the Whiteman band..

A specific question was posed about a trombonist from Ohio who was in the band during that era, and was seen still gigging in Cincinnati into his 80's (back in the mid-1970s or so). None of us could come up with any names. Any ideas?

Are there some books available that would give detailed information about who was playing in the band then? An online data base? Aside from the notable soloists such as Beiderbeck, Teagarden, Venuti, Trumbauer, et al I draw blanks. I see nothing in the Simon Big Band book.

Thanks!

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

Not sure if this will help but...

From redhotjazz website:

Trombonists in Whiteman´s orchestra (without specifics on which period they played in the band):

Bobby Byrne

Jim Cassidy

Boyce Cullen

Chick Dahlsten

Tommy Dorsey

Jack Fulton

Vincent Grande

Jose Gutierrez

Wilbur Hall

Fritz Hummel

Buster Johnson

Skip Layton

Sam Lewis

Hal Matthews

Roy Maxon

Murray McEachern

Miff Mole

Bill Rank

Charlie Small

Elmer Smithers

Jack Teagarden

Allan Thompson

Herb Winfield

Moe Zudecoff (Buddy Morrow)

I wonder if you are thinking of Speigle Wilcox, who played with the California Ramblers and Jean Goldkette in the 1920's. He left music, but came back after retiring from the day gig in the 1970's. He was a regular fixture on the trad festival scene in those days. He was in the Goldkette band at the same time as Bix Beiderbecke, and appears in Brigitte Berman's film about Bix.

Could be Wilcox, and he's been active through the nineties and into the 21st century! (I've got a great private recording of him backed by Danny D'Imperio and his father, Pete D'Imperio).

Berigan, that was Wilcox on that Bix documentary.

Rank was from Cincinnati and was a presence there in the seventies, and did play in Whiteman's Orchestra (poor guy, simultaneously with Tea!)

Edited by jazzbo

Some info from Yanow:

Rank, Bill Trombonist, Rank, Bill is most famous for having participated on some classic recordings with Bix Beiderbecke and Frankie Trumbauer in the 1920's. He began his professional career in 1921, playing with Collins' Jazz Band in Florida and then in Indianapolis as part of Tade Dolan's Singing Orchestra. Rank joined Jean Goldkette's Orchestra in 1923 and was with Goldkette through the summer of 1927 including the Beiderbecke era. He was with Adrian Rollini's legendary (if short-lived) orchestra, recorded with Sam Lanin, Roger Wolfe Kahn and Nat Shilkret and then was with Paul Whiteman's Orchestra from Dec. 1927 up until 1938, appearing on many recordings. After four years playing in the Hollywood studios, Rank moved to Cincinnati where he led his own bands by night while working in the insurance industry by day. In the late 1960's he became more active in music, visiting Europe a few times and appearing at numerous classic jazz festivals in the 70's where he was treated as a legend. Bill Rank led his lone record date in 1973, a tribute to Bix Beiderbecke for Fat Cat's Jazz.

Singin' the Blues, Columbiasony45450.gif

This has what Rank has called his favorite perfomance ("At the Jazz Band Ball") and more. . . . I haven't heard anything from Rank's sixties and seventies comeback (would like to!). . . .This material in small group with Bix is what his "name" is built on and shows him off well.

Edited by jazzbo

Could be Wilcox, and he's been active through the nineties and into the 21st century! (I've got a great private recording of him backed by Danny D'Imperio and his father, Pete D'Imperio).

Berigan, that was Wilcox on that Bix documentary.

Rank was from Cincinnati and was a presence there in the seventies, and did play in Whiteman's Orchestra (poor guy, simultaneously with Tea!)

Good, now I don't have to fast forward thru a 2 hour tape looking for an old guy on a trombone! ^_^

• 1 year later...