What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoying watching this on disc, has more impact than one episode a week or so on broadcast. Haven't seen the original from Denmark, but thought AMC did a good job adapting this.

Season 2 starts April 1.

killingblu.jpg

That site does not allow hot-linking of images. What's the name of the show?

No, but having worked with some persons like Draper, and knowing some that aspire to be like him, his character really rubs me the wrong way. He's a reminder to me of the sort of "manliness" and "success" I want to be far away from. I watch it in spite of him and have learned to like a few characters such as Roger and Joan more over the years.

Fringe- yawn, loony murderers again, wtf?

Titanic (ITV)

SNF02TV2F---532_1463083a.jpg

Upstairs Downstairs meets Dowton Abbey. Really, what's the point, who, I wonder could have any interest in yet another version of The Titanic sinking? Shallow and glossy trash. With the ship hitting the iceberg after just 30 minutes, one wonders how they will pad out the next 3 episodes.

Watch the great ' A Night To Remember' instead.

I'll be watching that later.

Just watched this week's The Good Wife, excellent even by it's consistently high standard.

101576_0494b120306120515.jpg

I've given up on the lame and boring BBC White Heat. Couldn't care less about any of the dreary characters. I was there and it was much more fun than this !

whiteheat_2162717b.jpg

Edited by kinuta

The watching last night was the Mad Men premier. Interesting premier episodes. I like how they establish a tone for the season, as has been the case in the last few season's premiers.

Interesting take on the civil rights issue. I liked that the advertisement they put in the paper to further humiliate a competing agency came back to bite them in the arse. Showed how full of shit they are, "equal opportunity employers" indeed.

I hope Don enjoys his little bubble of bliss as I have a feeling it is going to burst. It was fun to see Pete in his newly revitalized whiney ambitious boy role. Personally I hope he crashes and burns, I've never liked him . . . but he's responding to the power vacuum Don's dialing back from dominance at the office and Roger's waning importance has created, and it's going to be an important plotline for the season.

I enjoyed the Joanie segments. I really felt her work anxiety and her frustration with her mother, as well as her loneliness. Well portrayed and acted.

Re-watching Seasons 4 last week was instructive to me, there were a number of subplots and themes nicely, delicately handled. . . and I especially enjoyed the way they showed Don and Faye almost coming together, and showing how her challenging Don to deal with his problems, and her lack of skill with children, led to the end of their relationship, and facilitated his leap into Megan's life. Last season was a better one that I thought at first. Perhaps this year will be as well.

Edited by jazzbo

Some funny stuff! Though I'd probably watch it just to see Alison Brie. :)

Yeah, I can definitely understand that! Yowza. I also realized that Gillian Jacobs was in "The Box" playing the babysitter, she's lovely as well.

I think the show is hilarious, I love the style.

I'll watch Community if it is on but I didn't miss it at all when it was on hiatus. I can't stand Chevy Chase. Annie is indeed one of the highlights.

I'm watching the first season of The Killing on On Demand. It was one of those shows I was curious about when it first started but I never ended up watching it for whatever reason. I'm enjoying it a lot and really like being able to watch the entire season over the course of several days. This is one show I'm definitely going to keep following. I only have 2-3 shows of the first season left so I'll be caught up when the new season starts in April.

This show explored grief in a way I've rarely seen explored on tv or film. Very poignant and respectful. I really enjoyed Season 1. Less than a week til Season 2. I watched the show on broadcast, but agree that it is very effective if watched episode after episode, back to back. The Blu-ray set is wonderful, great picture and atmospheric sound. A step up from the broadcast in both.

I agree with you on the show's approach on greiving. Very well done.

I love being able to watch the episodes of a series back to back over the course of several days rather than over the course of months with the regular broadcast. That's how I had to watch The Sopranos. I don't have HBO and watched it for the first time when the show was already into the 4th or 5th season. I couldn't get those DVD sets from the library fast enough!! I just devoured those shows! There was a lot of demand for the series so sometimes I had to wait a month or more for the next season to become available. The wait was always well worth it. I had to do it the same way with Boardwalk Empire. I can't wait for the 2nd season of that show to come out on DVD so I can request that one from the library and watch the entire season in a couple of days. I'll have to try and find another series I've never seen and get hooked on it. Maybe The Wire? Rome?

Edited by mikelz777

I've been avoiding Sopranos because I hate Mafia stuff and hate the sort of glorifying of it which may not be what goes on in that show but I just won't watch Mafia stuff. Haven't gotten to see Boardwalk Empire yet, but it's probably very good. Nor the Wire. But I can recommend Rome, a very good show. If you haven't seen Damages, you should try Season 1.

I'll have to keep Rome and Damages in mind. I'm going to have a go with The Wire first because I have heard a lot of good things about it. I hope the library copy isn't too hacked up. I hate it when they are so scratched up they start to freeze, pixilate and skip. I guess I don't understand how people can be so careless. I have CDs/DVDs I've listened/watched dozens of times that still carry a spotless mirror finish.

I just finished the last episode of season 1 of The Killing. Wow! A very nice cliff-hanger! This show is nicely layered and has me hooked. I'm really looking forward to the 2-hour season 2 opener. I really like the actress playing Sarah Linden, the lead detective. I think she's really embraced her character described as a, "silent watcher, taking everything in without ever revealing her hand. Outside of work, she's a distance runner, an emotional "lone wolf," and a single mom to whom motherhood doesn't come naturally." The actor playing her shady partner does a very nice job as well.