What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mad Men

I've followed the show since the start and have never made any comments but fat Betty just took the wind out of my sails.

I'm also wondering just when Roger is going to keel over again. In literally every scene he has a glass or a cig in his hand. The general gluttony is striking, Harry ate 20 hamburgers and Betty had no qualms about finishing two ice cream parfaits.

Edited by kinuta

They sure went for the surprise factor: we don't see Betty for a double episode and then we see her fifty pounds heavier! Interestingly, I believed the transformation and am glad that the thyroid cancer scare was just that. Also that she isn't yet on diet pills.

It was interesting that there's Dawn the receptionist now, glad that the firm followed through with hiring one of the surge of applicants from the end of the last episode. And it seems one recurring theme this season will be the growing exposure of the generation gap, evidenced quite clearly by the Rolling Stones portions of the show, and Don's growing alienation from the changing marketplace and possibly the gap in age between himself and his new wife.

Going to be an interesting season.

They sure went for the surprise factor: we don't see Betty for a double episode and then we see her fifty pounds heavier! Interestingly, I believed the transformation and am glad that the thyroid cancer scare was just that. Also that she isn't yet on diet pills.

It was interesting that there's Dawn the receptionist now, glad that the firm followed through with hiring one of the surge of applicants from the end of the last episode. And it seems one recurring theme this season will be the growing exposure of the generation gap, evidenced quite clearly by the Rolling Stones portions of the show, and Don's growing alienation from the changing marketplace and possibly the gap in age between himself and his new wife.

I agree with all of that.

Also watched The Killing 2 hour episode last night.

I liked it well enough that I'm going to hang in there with the show.

I watched The Killing premier this morning on DVR. A good kickoff to the new season, and I really enjoyed last season.

Both Mad Men and The Killing. . . I've been watching the Blu-rays and the step down in quality to my cable's broadcast version is not subtle. Will be enjoying watching these new seasons on Blu-ray when they come out.

I agree with all of that.

Also watched The Killing 2 hour episode last night.

I liked it well enough that I'm going to hang in there with the show.

I've watched a few episodes of The Killing (American) but I missed even more, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to bother with the 2-hour season premiere. Well, I ended up watching the thing and getting really wrapped up in it. Maybe I'll keep watching. There's something kind of hypnotic about that show.

In last night's Mad Men, I was impressed all over again with how decent and NORMAL Henry Francis is. Except when it comes to Don; he loathes Don. I suppose that's "normal" too, certainly understandable, but after being so kind and generous with everyone else his treatment of Don as almost a pariah stands in stark contrast. But that very human reaction was perhaps put there so Henry didn't come off as some sort of saint. I liked the direction of the episode.

I've watched a few episodes of The Killing (American) but I missed even more, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to bother with the 2-hour season premiere. Well, I ended up watching the thing and getting really wrapped up in it. Maybe I'll keep watching. There's something kind of hypnotic about that show.

In last night's Mad Men, I was impressed all over again with how decent and NORMAL Henry Francis is. Except when it comes to Don; he loathes Don. I suppose that's "normal" too, certainly understandable, but after being so kind and generous with everyone else his treatment of Don as almost a pariah stands in stark contrast. But that very human reaction was perhaps put there so Henry didn't come off as some sort of saint. I liked the direction of the episode.

I can definitely recommend viewing the first season of The Killing. It's very well done, hypnotic I guess, it's a nice portrayal of a police procedural and human emotions and obsessions.

I agree, Henry proves himself time and again to be the person with reasonable, honorable intentions and actions. I hope he gets treated well this season and beyond, but with this series that may be too much to ask for. . . .

Shawn, I thought you would like that!

People who don't like The Killing complain that it moves too slowly. I'd call it deliberate. I'm totally hooked on this. It's obvious at this point that the roots of this conspiracy run pretty deep. Bring it on. Nice to see Mark Moses ("Duck" Phillips from Mad Men) making an appearance as the new Lieutenant.

I'm digging The Killing as well and have no qualms at all over the pace of the show. It's so layered and more than once they had me convinced that they were on to the killer only to have the story take yet another twist. As I mentioned before, Mireille Enos as Sarah Linden is excellent in her role and really carries the show. I also really like Joel Kinnaman as her assigned partner, Stephen Holder.

Edited by mikelz777

All this talk about The Killing got me curious, I just watched the series Pilot and it was excellent. I'm looking forward to the rest of season 1.

I think you'll enjoy the rest of Season 1 Shawn, it's of the same quality of the pilot, and I think you'll like the way the story unfolds.

After finishing Season Four of Battlestar Galactica, I've turned to the standalone "Razor" (extended) episode (in my case as part of the complete Blu-ray collection).

51QO6YjjkIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nice to watch Stephanie Jacobsen in her feature role here.

300px-SCC_218_TodayIsTheDayPartOne2.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

All this talk about The Killing got me curious, I just watched the series Pilot and it was excellent. I'm looking forward to the rest of season 1.

Don't bother with the Andorran version.

Get the original!

I'm not so sure about that, Bev. Before watching the Canadian version I would have dismissed it out of hand as being unable to match the Danish original.

In all fairness, I think it stands up well although I'm sure almost everyone will disagree. Just my opinion.