William Parker - "Luc's Lantern"

sal

I picked this one up a couple of days ago. I've only gotten the chance to give it one listen (which I admit was not a 100% attentive one). My first impression is that its a good, if not great, session. Its very different from his other releases being that is very much in the straight-ahead mold, with very little of the more "downtown" sound Parker is known for. It has some very strong playing by the piano player Eri Yamamoto and drummer Michael Thompson....both new names to me. It also features lots of "up front" playing by Parker (not so much in terms of solos, but in the comping), which is a treat to hear in this more mainstream context. I guess really the only reason I wasn't quite that taken by the session is that alot of the compositions seemed to have a similar mood to them, which is strange for William Parker. But I really feel I need to listen to this one more times to form a solid opinion.

Anyways, just wanted to get some discussion started about this one. Anyone else heard it?

thanks sal,

listening to tidbits on iTunes now...

some reviews I have read take this as not too essential, in so far as Parker's outward play is not the feature I gather they would like to hear, but it sure sounds nice to me. still has his gangling lope underneath it all.

seems a bit like Taborn's 'Light Made Lighter' for a pretty inside and accessible Thirsty Ear release.

I have not heard this one yet, but it is on my want list. Interestingly, all of the reviews that I have read about this one are very positive. Noone said "essential", but the overall impression made me think this is a must have for a William Parker fan like myself.

Last night I ordered the new quartet disc (Rob Brown, Lewis Barnes and Hamid Drake) from the AUM Fidelity website. Really looking forward to hearing that one.

Edited by relyles

Man with the Golden Arm - good point comparing it to Light Made Lighter, one of my favorite Blue Series releases. Luc's Lantern sounds even more inside than that one to me, but definitely in the same vein of more accessible piano trio sessions.

reyles, thanks for the heads up about the quartet disc! I didn't even know about his one. I love O'Neal's Porch, so I'll definitely be picking this one up.

I feel like I really need to listen to Luc's Lantern some more. I'll do that this weekend and comment some more next week.

(relyles - i think my reading a couple weeks back was from bagatellen and another site that seemed to want more exploratory Parker for the money. the snips I just heard sound nothing but positive to me. :tup )

Probably a good point. The frame of reference is important. I believe I may have read a couple of reviews on AAJ and in one of the more mainstream magazines (DownBeat or Jazztimes). Those sources tend to be more conservative and would not necesarrily be as disappointed about a fire breather cooling off for a moment.

I've been listening to this the last few days and it's really growing on me. It is pretty inside and certainly about the most accessible Wm. Parker that I've ever heard - which may be why a few are rather cool to it. It doesn't jump out and grab you by the balls like some of his other recordings. My favorite track may be "Phoenix," which sounds like the Jarrett trio doing some 70's Philly soul...