Larry Young - Love Drops

Chrome

Anyone else ever think about how the name of a song affects one's opinion of what's going on with the music? Something that's been driving me crazy lately is that there's a tune on Larry Young's disc Mothership called Love Drops, and I keep wondering if "Drops" is a noun or a verb here?

Well, it is a well known "fact" (I'm guessing) that the hardest part in composing is coming up with a name for the tune... :P I guess it should be something that somehow is linked to the music, but in jazz, it rarely is. I know some composers start up with a title and work from there, but I'd say it's usually the other way around: first comes the music, then the title. There's the risk of ending up with something arguably pretensious (and long) like "Song Of The Whispering Banshee", or something short and totally unrelated like, er... "Phone". In this sense, what Chrome said, that the title might produce some expectations for the tune, is true.

"Love Drops" rules.