Richie Kamuca Discography

bluesForBartok

Thanks to everyone who has piped in. I've managed to acquire all of the recordings mentioned and then some. I feel like there are probably some good Woody Herman and possibly Kenton recordings that I might be missing. I'll have to scour those discographies. And there must be some bootleg recordings of Richie w/ Shelly Manne.

My inspiration for starting this thread was from reading an interview w/ pianist - composer Jimmy Amadie in one of the recent Jazz Improv magazines and he was talking about seeing a group years ago in Philly that consisted of Richie, Philly Joe, Sam Dockery and a pianist whose name escapes me. Needless to say I started drooling like Homer Simpson. Kamuca and Philly Joe sounds like a potent combination.

I would love to hear what that sounded like!

bFB,

If you're really Jonesing on Kamuca, pick up the Jazz Scene USA DVD featuring Shelly Manne and his Men. Really prime stuff, with lots of space for Kamuca as well as Conte Candoli and Russ Freeman. The other "half" of the DVD is given over to Shorty Rogers and his Giants, so it's all good.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Kamuca is in excellent company on the RCA album 'The Brothers' with Al Cohn, Bill Perkins and a rhythm section of Hank Jones, Barry Galbraith and Sam Beethoven (aka Jimmy Raney) alternating on guitar, John Beal on bass and Chuck Flores on drums.

The date was reissued by RCA Spain a few years ago. Well worth the search!