Air Show

B-25 Mitchell Bomber (this one is the "Pacific Prowler", and has it's own website):

dsc01008pe6.jpg

I think I saw that one at a display at Chino Erik, about 10 years ago and got to have a crawl round inside it. A fabulous example. They had about 6-7 B-25s taking off together. Quite a sight.

Two astronauts were also doing displays that day. One I think was either Borman or Lovell - in a King Cobra. The other 'naut was in a Mustang I think.

I try to make a major display every year - hope to get up to the main UK International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in the Sumer. My employer does subsidised admission. :)

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 years later...

Looks like my old Imageshack pictures aren't showing up anymore for some reason. Odd. (edit - relinked the images, hopefully they're working now!)

Anyway, went to the Air Show at NAS Kingsville, TX today, and had a great time, despite the heat.

P-38 Mustang:

20120415133349.jpg

B-1 Lancer:

20120415140051.jpg

A-10 Warthog:

20120415140751.jpg

Blue Angel, F/A-18 Hornet taxiing:

20120415152436.jpg

In formation:

20120415155800.jpg

Edited by Aggie87

P-38 Lightning. The P-51 was a Mustang.

For those of you on the board who are interested in antique aircraft you might find this website interesting. It's called TIGHAR. This group is currently involved in an attempt to locate Amelia Earhart's missing Lockheed Electra in the deep waters off Nikumaroro, a small island in the South Pacific, but they also do historic aircraft recovery and restoration. Here's a link: My link

Edited by Dave James

Good news for Spitfire fans. It looks as though impending moves between the Burmese and UK governments should see the release of about 20 aircraft which were buried in a pit and preserved post WW2 ! Hopefully these can be made flightworthy and radically increase the number of Spitfires available for display. :tup

Edited by sidewinder

Good news for Spitfire fans. It looks as though impending moves between the Burmese and UK governments should see the release of about 20 aircraft which were buried in a pit and preserved post WW2 ! Hopefully these can be made flightworthy and radically increase the number of Spitfires available for display. :tup

They will probably be sold to collectors, don't you think?

P-38 Lightning. The P-51 was a Mustang.

Doh! Thanks, Dave!

The P-38 was fascinating to watch fly. It flew in tandem with one of the A-10's there, as a tribute to veterans present. That was pretty moving.

I also enjoyed checking the B-1 out up close. They had the payload doors open underneath, so you could look up and see how that was configured as well.

They will probably be sold to collectors, don't you think?

Yes, I guess so. Hopefully some of them will put in appearances at air meets across the globe. And maybe Duxford will get one or two.

Edited by sidewinder

I like the Oceana NAS airshow in Virginia Beach- I want to attend the Atlantic City airshow in August this year.

We were in Atlantic City in 2009, and got to watch part of the air show from the Boardwalk. That was a great place to watch a show! The Thunderbirds were there that year, dunno if they're always the headliner there or not. Fun time!

Probably not. Both the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds are in extremely high demand at air shows across the country. For one thing an appearance by either team pretty much guarantees the show will draw thousands of additional spectators. The Angels have been at the Hillsboro Air Show three or four times and the Thunderbirds once. It makes a huge difference in the size of the crowd. And for good reason. On a nice, clear Summer day when they can do their high show, they're about as spectacular as it gets.

I like the Oceana NAS airshow in Virginia Beach- I want to attend the Atlantic City airshow in August this year.

We were in Atlantic City in 2009, and got to watch part of the air show from the Boardwalk. That was a great place to watch a show! The Thunderbirds were there that year, dunno if they're always the headliner there or not. Fun time!

Aggie- they are the headliners every year. It's on a Friday this year (instead of Wed) so I will be attending! You and the Mrs. should also!

• 3 years later...

Our Air Show is this weekend again. The Blue Angels got in yesterday and did some rehearsing. They didn't practice today due to the weather - low cloud cover and storms forecast. Hopefully Sat/Sun is better for the actual show. I did get to check out the static displays and some of the practice flights though.

N2S Stearman - this was the US Army Air Force's primary trainer through WWII.

20150417_131246.jpg

A different B-25 from previous years, the Devil Dog. This is actually a Marine variant of the B-25, called the PBJ. The nose doesn't have a glass bombardier compartment, but is solid and contains 8 50 caliber machine guns.

20150417_130946.jpg

20150417_130907.jpg

V-22 Osprey - these things are fascinating to me - helicopter/airplane hybrid. Watched a vertical takeoff and then the transition of the rotors/engines to the forward position for higher speed travel.

20150417_131343.jpg

20150417_132244.jpg

And of course the Blue Angels, parked along the sea wall:

20150417_130633.jpg

BA_4.jpg

20150416_152829.jpg

Yes, all the very best regards from me too, Erik. I took a load of photos at Chino and thinking about it I'm pretty sure I have a photo of the Stearman. In fact, that day they had Qty 6 B-25 Liberators flying :blink: . I was stunned at the variety of vintage aircraft over there - there were more Hawker Sea Furys and Spitfires than I've ever seen in the UK, astonishingly. All kept in wonderful confition too.

Debating whether or not to head up to the RAF Fairford Air Tattoo in a few months time. That show usually has the best air and static displays of any of the annual shows in the UK.

Edited by sidewinder

I grew up on RAF (Royal Air Force, not Red Army Faction) bases - there was usually a Spitfire or Hurricane on a pedestal at the entrance gate.

The sight of a Spitfire or Hurricane can still make me go all gooey.

BAE Samlesbury has this Lightning as a gate guardian. Guaranteed back in the 1960s and 70s to rattle windows and teapots throughout the country as they intercepted those nasty Ruskie Bears..

zf580-samlesbury-070507.jpg

Edited by sidewinder