The Chess Story

kulu se mama

I never heard of this. Who put this set out? Is it from the Chess masters, or like the old English Charley/French Chess albums in the 80s where there was a lot of music in really bad sound? I used to buy those because the real stuff was not available from Chess, which was in 'transition', but once MCA started releasing all the old albums on Chess CDs and LPs in the late 80s I dumped my old European versions and bought the new ones with good sound. Since the late 80s much of the Chess catalogue has been reissued legitimately by Chess in excellent sound, even the late 80s CDs, although a lot is now OOP, so I wouldn't jump at this box unless I knew exactly what was on it and what the sources were.

I don't remember this, I guess I wasn't buying a lot of blues at that point, I had almost everything I wanted - if it's from Universal from 1999 the sound should be good, so the main thing is to look at the track listing and see how much of this you already own and how much remains that you want, especially if there are some rarities. I bought that Chess Blues box in the mid 90s which I think has 4 CDs even though I had all the 'hit' material (plus) because there were a bunch of nice rarities on the box that I wanted to hear (much of which I wound up buying again on the 2 CD Aristocrat set later - that is a real treasure trove), so a purchase like this depends on what you have and what you like.