Carlos Gardel

Ed S

Anyone ever check this guy out?

I saw a Best of collection on the BN site and was intrigued. I know next to nothing about Tango, read some of the AMG comments and figured what the heck. I found a cheapo copy on Half.com and bagged it.

Really really interesting. In fact, I'm digging the hell out of it. Most of the music was recorded between 1933 and 35 and was transferred from 78s. The sound is good to my ears, given the source material. It's typical of what I've heard insofar as transfers from 78s is concerned.

The music is fabulous. I have no idea what he's singing about but it's intense, rhythmic, passionate.... and captivating. I think I've listened a half dozen times since it arrived yesterday.

Carlos Gardel has been among my favorite singers for more years than I can remember. I also don't understand what he is singing, but there is an honesty that grabs me in the very same way that Bessie Smith and Edith Piaf did when I first heard them (and couldn't understand the lyrics, BTW).

When I am asked what it is that so attracted me to Bessie, I always cite Gardel as another example.

And I neither tango nor shimmy. :g

I discovered Carlos Gardel when his records reappeared on French radio in 1990 on

the hundredth anniversarsy of his birth in Toulouse, southern France. Don't understand

much about the songs but they really get to you.

The late Egyptian singer Oum Kalsoum is another singer that grabs you. I was at her

unique concert in Paris in 1967 and grooved with the audience (most of whom had

flown into town from the Middle East). Her voice and the way she organised her songs

reminded somehow of Mahalia Jackson.