Chuck Rainey Coalition

mikeweil

This is hard to comment on but I'll make an attempt: Chuck Rainey was THE studio Fender Bass player on the NYC scene in the late 60s and early 70s until he moved to LA. If you're familiar with him and his associates and there approach to the art of studio playing then you'll dig this record.

This record was done around 68 or 69 at the latest. The cream of the NYC R&B studio guys are on this. Eric Gale, Cornell Dupree, Richard Tee, Bernard Purdie etc etc. Now the thing is this - studio guys make records that have limited appeal. Now I have this since it came out on vinyl and I like it. The playing is typical of how these guys play - which I like. But I can also understand people saying the material is weak , it sounds like a background track, etc etc. I listen for something else when I listen to this type of thing. As a bassist, I'm trying to learn Chuck Rainey's approach to a certian genre of matrerial or chord changes and for that reason I enjoy and listen to a record like this while I have a general feeling that a lot of people wouldn't.

Now the thing is this - studio guys make records that have limited appeal.

I was afraid I would read something like this ... :rolleyes:

Now of course I know these guys and I always liked Rainey's bass playing, but will this make me listen through this?

There's a lot of GREAT Chuck Rainey on this. If you're familiar with what a great player he is, you should have no problem with this disc. If you're a bass player you'll LOVE it ! There's plenty of great grooves. My post was a difficult one for me. I almost deleted it before I posted. I know there are people that love this type of thing (I'm one) and I also know there are people that don't "get" it.

Another plus - the original version of Eric Gale's "How Long Will It Last". A tasty tune that reappeared on Cornell's "Teasin'" album and then on the first Stuff album.