quitting smoking!

You really do have to be ready to quit. If you're not ready to quit then leave it alone. Nicotine is terribly addicting and you have to be completely ready to rid yourself of the habit or it just doesn't work. I've known people who were long time smokers who quit and while they were going through nicotine withdrawals they were'nt a lot of fun to be around. Hopefully you're not one of them and I hope you have a good support system.

Well, after reading all of the advice here and the PM's I've gotten (wow, I forgot how genuinely nice everyone is outside of the politics forum!!!!), I've been inspired enough to have just thrown out my pack. I'll give the cold turkey thing a do, not a try, and I'll keep everyone updated on how things are going.

I've never smoked but my father did and quit cold turkey one day in his 40s. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's suggestions. We've got a lot of smart and experienced people on this board.

The part about being 100% committed really rings a bell. I think it applies to taking on any difficult project. There must be no back door. Forward only! Right now, I'm committing myself to an exercise program. I'm tired of taking on middle age lard! There is no looking back! Onward!!! :bwallace:

Good luck, JazzyP, and keep us updated!

Not much to add but the cold turkey thing worked for me.

Well, that and my then girlfriend (now wife) taking me on a (intentionally devious) tour of her anatomy lab...no joke. "See, it's cool, they've pre-dissected the rib cage on this one and we can just lift it out to look at the organ systems and...OHHHHH, WOW, it looks like THIS one was a smoker!"

Crushed up the pack and quit in the middle of final exams.

That was 1997.

Regardless, good luck to you (and to Weizen, who, if I'm not mistaken, is trying to quit at the moment as well).