Cal Tjader - The Prophet

mikeweil

This was Tjader's next-to-last Verve release. Unlike for the earlier sessions, or the last, there is little information on the personnel in the discographies I have access to, or the issues I have.

This is what my old Bruyninckx says:

- The Prophet -: Cal Tjader (vibes) Joao Donato (piano) Red Mitchell (bass) Ed Thigpen (drums) unknown tp, tb, two flutes, vocals

United Recording Studios, Hollywood, California, September 19, 1967

L538 Warm Song

L539 Souled Out

L540A A Time For Love

L541 The Prophet

L542 Aquarius

L543 The Lover

L544 Tema teimoso

L545 Cal's Bluedo

All titles on Verve LP V6-8769.

Only two tracks were included on Verve Tjader CD compilations, The Prophet and Cal's Bluedo. One says the personnel is unknown, one gives the above rhythm section. In fact there is no piano heard but Donato is playing some Farfisa organ (which he does very nicely!).

The flute playing a short solo on Bluedo sounds an awful lot like Hubert Laws, but was he doing West Coast sessions? The trumpet on the same track - Conte Candoli? Has anybody listened or is there more accurate info in the Ruppli Verve disco or elsewhere? I am not willing to shell out 50 $ for the Japanese release of this ...

A million thanks to all those patient owners of Lord and Bruyninckx and Ruppli discographies or owners of huge LP collections that support my never ending quest to get the Tjader disco done - I love y'all! :tup

Edited by mikeweil

Lord CDROM 5.0 has even fewer details, not naming the studio, and simply saying "Cal Tjader (vib) rest unknown".

My Ruppli is at home - will check later if no one else comes through.

Just out of curiosity - which Bruyninckx do you have? The little books by style or the full page condensed type 70 YORJ (or 60 YORJ or the single sided 50 YORJ)?

The Bruyninckx CDROM doesn't even give the studio - is that really in your Bruyninckx or was that from the LP itself?

Mike

Just out of curiosity - which Bruyninckx do you have? ...... the full page condensed type 70 YORJ

That's the printed issue I have - my CDROM misses the last two updates, can't afford it right now.

The studio I have from the Verve compilations.

So it is Laws - that the horns might have been overdubbed in New York is an explanation. Some typical triple tonguing in there.

Stamm! I knew that trumpet sounded familiar. It's nice they left some space for horns solos - must have been a thoroughly planned affair.

I got out my magnifying glass to check Herb Wong's liner notes on my Japanese CD version.

I was hoping someone had the Japanese CD - is there no discographical info on it?

The rear of the booklet and the tray card both reproduce the original LP rear cover/liner notes. Aside from what can be gleaned from Wong's notes, there is only the following:

Produced by Esmond Edwards

Arr/Cond by Don Sebesky

Recorded in NY and LA, 1968

Director of engineering: Val Valentin

There is an insert (all in Japanese except for the song titles, which are in both japanese and english), with new notes written in 1999, which only credits Tjader, Donato, Mitchell and Thigpen (all names in japanese only).

... and Bill is correct (yes, it was mentioned by Wong).

Thanks, Jim - now I wonder if Mike Fitzgerald can draw anything more from the Ruppli disco ...

I forgot about Ruppli! :rolleyes: My copy only gives "Cal Tjader (vb) + ?", and lists the recording date (in L.A.) as Sept. 19, 1967. FWIW...

Mike do you know about the circumstances that led to Verve being bought by Polydor in 1968, or a website that gives more details than the current Verve label history, which is very short? Did the new label owners terminate the contracts of Tjader et al?