Yankees Fall into Last Place

The Yanks ...  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I said it before, Paul:

Throwing the World Series=Eternal Damnation by the Baseball Gods

and there's no time limit on eternal damnation.  Sorry, but its true.

See "Eight Men Out" for a sympathetic portrait of the 1919 White Sox. But whether or not you like the film, Dan, that was an eternity ago. Today's ballplayer could not relate to that infamous incident whatsoever.

All that aside, it's quite amazing that a city like Chicago with two baseball teams hasn't won the Series in oh so many generations.

I read the book and saw the movie, Marty, and know all about the "extenuating" circumstances. But it has nothing to do with whether today's player can relate to what those players did an "eternity" ago. I'm talking about cosmic justice:

cheat, and you never win the Series again.

Even though I've been a New Yorker all my life I've always hated the Yankees especially since Steinbrenner took over. I like Torre a lot though, and I'm sure he will get the team turned around.

Edited by Jeff54

I said it before, Paul:

Throwing the World Series=Eternal Damnation by the Baseball Gods

and there's no time limit on eternal damnation.  Sorry, but its true.

See "Eight Men Out" for a sympathetic portrait of the 1919 White Sox. But whether or not you like the film, Dan, that was an eternity ago. Today's ballplayer could not relate to that infamous incident whatsoever.

All that aside, it's quite amazing that a city like Chicago with two baseball teams hasn't won the Series in oh so many generations.

I read the book and saw the movie, Marty, and know all about the "extenuating" circumstances. But it has nothing to do with whether today's player can relate to what those players did an "eternity" ago. I'm talking about cosmic justice:

cheat, and you never win the Series again.

You're pretty absolute in your pronunciomentos, Dan. Just for that I'll root for the Sox, that is the WHITE Sox, to win it all this year now that my Yanks have come a crapper.

Not that it will make one bit of difference. As for "cosmic justice", how can you of all people believe in that after so many Yankee World Series victories and AL pennant championships in your lifetime alone?

B-)

As for "cosmic justice", how can you of all people believe in that after so many Yankee World Series victories and AL pennant championships in your lifetime alone?

B-)

I believe it because there is a difference between a bad trade and offending the gods by cheating.

And the proof is that the Sox ultimately did win, proving there was no "curse" in the first place. But I find it easy to believe that it is not a coincidence that the last time the White Sox reached the series, they threw the series and have never been back.

and anyway, with El Duque and Contreras being key parts of the rotation, I am not at all concerned that the streak will end.

Read something that has to give even the most die-hard Yankee fans pause:

To get to 90 wins, the Yanks have to go 25 games over .500 the rest of the way. And I think its pretty clear that 90 is unlikely to get you to the playoffs, so realistically they have to go at least 30 over .500 the rest of the way.

As for "cosmic justice", how can you of all people believe in that after so many Yankee World Series victories and AL pennant championships in your lifetime alone?

B-)

I believe it because there is a difference between a bad trade and offending the gods by cheating.

And the proof is that the Sox ultimately did win, proving there was no "curse" in the first place. But I find it easy to believe that it is not a coincidence that the last time the White Sox reached the series, they threw the series and have never been back.

Slight correction. The White Sox did get back to the Series, exactly 40 years later in 1959 where they lost to the Los Angeles Dodgers in six games. I hate to admit it but I actually remember that series, being a young teen at the time.

B-)

Slight correction. The White Sox did get back to the Series, exactly 40 years later in 1959 where they lost to the Los Angeles Dodgers in six games. I hate to admit it but I actually remember that series, being a young teen at the time.

I thought they might actually have made it back but I was too lazy to check before posting.

Meanwhile, the Yanks got another no-run performance, this time from Kevin Brown of all people. You know, when Brown loaded the bases with no outs and worked out of it, I realized this might be an indication that they were going to win. And with Johnson going tomorrow, they might actually get a streak going.

While its a challenge, there's too much talent on that roster for them to suck this bad the entire season.