Starting point for Roy Eldridge

Jazztropic

The Verve complilation, "Little Jazz the Verve Years" seems to have gone out of print. If you can find it somewhere that'd be the place to start, imo. IN fact, other than the Mosaic box, the Verve years are not very well represented right now (except for the jam session with Diz, which has never been a favorite of mine though I ussually see it referred to as a classic, so what do I know).

Eldridge first grabbed me by the ears on the COunt Basie Newport CD on Verve--(there's not a lot of Eldridge on there, but his solo on one o'clock jump made me a fan forever) Some other sideman appearances during the Verve years that might be useful introductions to Eldridge: Johnny Hodges (Side by Side), Lester Young (Jazz Giants), Ben Webster and Associates, Benny Carter (the Urbane Sessions--a session he co-led with Carter is on there and is also on the Mosaic set).

Verve (modern day Verve/Universal) has not done justice to Eldridge. They virtually have a monopoly, since they own all the Decca and Keynote material, plus the stuff he did on Commodore with Hawkins.

Somewhat later in the day, "Nifty Cat" (from 1970) has some great playing (I think Budd Johnson is on there also).

If you want "classic" sides and can deal with (good) '30s/40s sound, get the GRP/Decca cd called After You've Gone. The Hawk/Roy cd mentioned is a great one too. Too bad my favorites from Verve (the first 2 discs on the Mosaic set) are not available as single discs. The Verve compilation called Little Jazz is a decent anthology of the '50s stuff.

Once you get hooked you will need to seek the big band sides with Henderson, Krupa and Shaw.

Roy was a favorite.