don cherry's "orient/blue lake"

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

i just went to the record store intending to buy dave burrell's "after love" which i kind of thought i wouldn't like so much. i then considered mike osborne's "outback" and noticed a don cherry two-fer of "orient" and "blue lake". i had seen these albums sold individually but never together so this interested me and i bought this instead. i thought i remembered these albums getting lukewarm reviews and this is why i never picked them up previously. i have not gotten the chance to listen to them so much but i really like what i hear so far. sound quality could be a lot better, but isn't awful. i really like the temiz/dyani rhythm section and i also like cherry's piano style a lot. it is sort of heavy but grooving. do people consider these albums top shelf cherry or mediocre works?

Guest akanalog

too late! i bought it when i was in the store. i guess i was enjoying my last byg actual whatever twofer so much-which was sun ra's "the solar myth approach"-that i took a shot.

i sell a lot of my CDs, but after going through "orient/blue lake" a few times, i think it is a keeper for me. i like this kind of stuff. it's a little all over the place, but powerful to me.