John Surman session

Swinger

It's a burn of a booted LP test pressing that Mole Jazz got their hands on several years ago - I believe it was originally supposed to come out on CBS or Polydor. Mole pressed up about 350 of the LPs, I think, and they go for a fair amount of dough so it's probably worth it to get this. Mole also did a 'test pressing' boot of a Chris McGregor record from the same period, trio and quintet.

Cheers,

CT

It's a burn of a booted LP test pressing that Mole Jazz got their hands on several years ago - I believe it was originally supposed to come out on CBS or Polydor. Mole pressed up about 350 of the LPs, I think, and they go for a fair amount of dough so it's probably worth it to get this. Mole also did a 'test pressing' boot of a Chris McGregor record from the same period, trio and quintet.

Cheers,

CT

Thanks for the reply.Since it costs only 7 Euros+shipping I'm going to buy it anyway.If I don't like it I can always offer it to someone on this board or sell it at ebay.com

Edited by Swinger

Guest akanalog

um i think this music might just have come out on cuneiform as "way back when".

i don't have a link right here but look it up and see for yourself.

i got "way back when" last week. it has brian odgers on bass and john marshall on drums. nothing spectacular. it's like tame soft machine or nucleus.

if you like this era of music, it's a decent album.

it could be different than what you are talking about but i have a feeling it is the same.

It does look like it's probably the same as the just released Way Back When:

590367.jpg

John SurmanWay Back When (Cuneiform) May

— previously unreleased album recorded 10/7/69

— John Surman (baritone and soprano saxes), John Taylor (electric piano), Brian Odgers (electric bass), John Marshall (drums) plus guest Mike Osborne (alto sax) on 'side one'

It does look like it's probably the same as the just released Way Back When:

590367.jpg

John SurmanWay Back When  (Cuneiform) May

—  previously unreleased album recorded 10/7/69

—  John Surman (baritone and soprano saxes), John Taylor (electric piano), Brian Odgers (electric bass), John Marshall (drums) plus guest Mike Osborne (alto sax) on 'side one'

Yeah, I was wrong about that - sorry for the confusion. Didn't realise Cuneiform had done this, but I got a note from them that I'm getting a 1969 Surman CD as a review copy and figured... oops!

CT

• 2 weeks later...