World Music

porcy62

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a passel of them for review, about 10-11 years ago - one of them was Debashish Bhattacharya's 1st album for them, another is a killer solo tabla recital by someone whose name completely escapes me at the moment. They're not so easy to find where I'm now living, and I haven't really checked out any web sources - suggestions would be welcome. :)

Edit: D'oh! I just looked at your post again (with CD cover) - the solo tabla disc is by Samir Chatterjee.

Edited by seeline

I'm pretty sure I got mine all locally. IA is a NYC label, there's a huge Indian community here in NJ.

CD Universe has their catalog in stock at great prices.

Thanks! NJ: yeah, I know people who need to make the trip from D.C. to Edison when they're feeling really homesick.

I've heard him perform a few times. He even played a raga class I took a few years ago.

Nice! I *really* like his liner notes for the disc I've got; his clear explanations of how the rhythms work (and how they function melodically) are among the best I've seen. I'm not a tabla player (and probably never will be; I've been concentrating on other percussion), but his love for the music charms my drummer's heart.

Edited by seeline

I'm pretty sure I got mine all locally. IA is a NYC label, there's a huge Indian community here in NJ.

CD Universe has their catalog in stock at great prices.

Thanks! NJ: yeah, I know people who need to make the trip from D.C. to Edison when they're feeling really homesick.

That's right, Edison is it. The one corner called Iselin has a little India that's been expanding. There's a CD distributor that has a retail store (Raag) that I used to go to a lot.

KaldriGopalnath.jpg

Saxophone Indian Style

Kadri Gopalnath

Gopalnath is a monster player.

Biggest bummer ever: He was playing in town the same weekend as Tinariwen and Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings. I was out of town in my friend's wedding. Aaah!

Speaking of Carnatic saxophone music, have you had a chance to hear Prasant Radhakrishnan? He has some traditional discs and a couple with his jazz group Vidy-a.

Speaking of Carnatic saxophone music, have you had a chance to hear Prasant Radhakrishnan? He has some traditional discs and a couple with his jazz group Vidy-a.

Not yet.

I've never heard Gopalnath perform either. He must have been in the NYC/NJ area at some point.