Jazz in NYC June 22nd - 26th

I'll be in NYC from June 22nd - 26th for a short foray and wondered if anyone on the Board had specific recommendations on gigs to check out?

I'm aware of the stuff on at the JVC Festival but would be specifically interested in any good hard bop/post bop/big bands to check out. Either Manhattan or Brooklyn would be ideal.

Also - any good Jazz vinyl emporias that I should check out?

Thanks in advance ! :)

Guy and Michael - thanks very much for your responses. I'm thinking about the Jarrett at CH, its on the night I arrive. Fortunately this is vacation, no work so I can just spend the days checking out NYC and soaking up some great jazz :D .

Hopefully I can make it over to the Knickerbocker Restaurant, Michael. That gig sounds cool.. :)

Here is some daytime music in Bryant Park:

Mon thru Fri the 24th

Junior Mance

Mon, Fri | 12:00pm–2:30pm | Fountain Terrace

Tue, Wed, Thur | 3:30pm–6:00pm | Fountain Terrace

Piano in the Park

This looks interesting at Dizzy's

Tue-Sun, Jun 21-26

Francesco Cafiso Quartet

Featuring Francesco Cafiso (alto saxophone), David Hazeltine (piano), David Williams (bass), Joe Farnsworth (drums).

And This:

Cornelia Street Cafe - Friday June 24th

RON HORTON QUARTET

Ron Horton, trumpet & flugelhorn; Michael Blake, saxophones; Tom Beckham, vibraphone; Ben Allison, bass

Edited by marcello

I don't know if you've been before, sidewinder, but if not I'd recommend the Mingus Big Band. They used to do a Thursday night residency at the Fez at the Time Cafe, but they seem to have moved to the Iridium just above Times Square.

http://www.mingusmingusmingus.com/main/mbb.htm

They were absolutely thrilling the night I saw them - I'd previously seen them at Brecon but that paled by comparison.

I saw at Kenny Garrett at Iridium - found it all a bit chrome and characterless by comparison; but then it was virtually empty!

The place I found most welcoming was Birdland.

You probably know this, but get a copy of the Village Voice when you arrive. I opened one on my first night there...the following evening I was in a university hall by Brooklyn Bridge listening to Archie Shepp, Grachan Moncur III, Reggie Workman, Andrew Cyrille, Roswell Rudd and Leroi Jones!

Thanks Bev, appreciate the suggestions. I haven't seen mention of the Mingus Big Band playing in NY that week but I would be definitely in there checking them out if they are 'in town'. I haven't seen these guys yet.. ('Mingus Dynasty' with Danny Richmond, Johnny Coles, Don Pullen & co twenty-odd years ago was my last 'Mingus' gig :o )

Good suggestion on the Village Voice. Very good source, I recall that on my last trip I almost re-wrote the itinery based on the listings in there.

Now it would be really great if Msrs Grachan and Shepp just happened to be in town that week..

Edited by sidewinder